Austrian Car Rental Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mtn ear

Austrian Car Rental Question

by mtn ear » Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 am

Okay, this doesn't really pertain to mountains, but i do need to know what I need to get to them. I am heading from the US to Austria in August with plans to tour Hohe Tauern Ntnl Park and do some hiking and climbing (hopefully). Flying to Vienna then taking a train to Salzburg. There I plan to rent a car. Does anyone know if I need to obtain an "International Drivers License" to be allowed to rent and drive that car? Not real sure what this is, but some of the guidebooks (Lonely Planet) say you need to have one. Any help?

Charles

by Charles » Tue May 01, 2007 10:54 am

Hi I´ve just checked up online with autoeurope, they write that you need a national driving licence, Passport and a credit card. Seems no international licence is required. Why not phone the Austrian Consulate near you? They will help your further. Or are you in a US drivers club? When I´ve rented cars in Europe I´ve never needed an international licence, or in the US for that matter.

Hope this helps

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 pm

You don't need an international driver's license to drive in Austria.

A bigger concern is insurance. Austrian rental car contracts give you the usual option for collision insurance but don't cover theft of the vehicle. Your US insurance company may or may not cover you abroad, and may cover collision but not theft. Call your insurance company and the car rental company before you go.

Moni

by Moni » Tue May 01, 2007 2:22 pm

We have rented a car twice to go climbing in the Dolomites. We got it in Innsbruck. I got a cheaper deal by making the arrangements from the US before leaving. Even found a discount for teachers. You'll need proof that you can cover the car's cost, should it get stolen - either through your credit card limit or through insurance. For sure, rent a car club or other steering wheel locking device that they will usually provide.

You do not need an international driver's license. Only your regular driver's license, passport and credit card.

PeterN

by PeterN » Tue May 01, 2007 7:36 pm

You certainly don't need a international driving licence here in Austria.
If you are searching for rental services than I'd be recommending http://www.buchbinder-rent-a-car.at

mtn ear

by mtn ear » Wed May 02, 2007 3:49 am

Thanks to all! Very helpful information!

Charles

by Charles » Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 am

enjoy the trip

Return to Europe