Glacier du Miage/Petit Mont Blanc/NE couloir

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
damio

Glacier du Miage/Petit Mont Blanc/NE couloir

by damio » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Hello, has anyone passed along Glacier du Miage recently (perhaps en route to the Gonella Refuge?)

If so, did you happen to notice the conditions in the NE couloir of Petit Mont Blanc??

I have been trying (and failing) to arrange some time in the couloir this spring and my opportunities are very quickly running out. It has got to the stage where I have to speculatively put in a long journey to get there in the next 3 weeks and I don't want to waste that effort just to find it in an a totally unsuitable state. Last year this time it was great, but this winter was very different.

My plans are to 'climb' and snowboard it.

no avatar
signorellil

Re: Glacier du Miage/Petit Mont Blanc/NE couloir

by signorellil » Tue May 01, 2007 8:23 pm

damio wrote:Hello, has anyone passed along Glacier du Miage recently (perhaps en route to the Gonella Refuge?)

If so, did you happen to notice the conditions in the NE couloir of Petit Mont Blanc??

I have been trying (and failing) to arrange some time in the couloir this spring and my opportunities are very quickly running out. It has got to the stage where I have to speculatively put in a long journey to get there in the next 3 weeks and I don't want to waste that effort just to find it in an a totally unsuitable state. Last year this time it was great, but this winter was very different.

My plans are to 'climb' and snowboard it.

Was very much in conditions two weeks ago, but don't know now. The lower section of the couloir is probably going rapidly out of conditions because of the warm weather.

damio

by damio » Fri May 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi Signorellil, thanks for the info. My window of opportunity shut pretty fast anyway, and lack of partners slammed it closed even harder. An unfortunately common trend this spring. Maybe next year.

Return to Europe