Ararat Up for Adoption

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Aaron Johnson

Ararat Up for Adoption

by Aaron Johnson » Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 pm

As noted in the new comments, the Ararat page has gone untended for quite some time. If anyone wants to take over as the new maintainer, please let Gangolf or me know and we'll transfer it to you. Thanks!

brenta

by brenta » Sat May 12, 2007 1:33 am

Am I the only one to believe that Ararat is in Asia?

BigLee

by BigLee » Sat May 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Nope, it's definately Western Asia as is most of Turkey...

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sun May 13, 2007 4:12 pm

CA wrote:Actually, it's on the border between the two continents. [...] They were separated by cultural differences which were the result of the mountain range containing Ararat. :)

Just curious - where is that border supposed to run? Conflicts caused by a mtn range - I am a bit confused. I guess you mean that hurly burly during the last centuries?

Personally, I consider it Asia too.
Last edited by Ski Mountaineer on Sun May 13, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigLee

by BigLee » Sun May 13, 2007 4:19 pm

The NW corner of Turkey is Europe. Everything East of that big river that flows through Istanbul (I forget the name) is Asia to my understanding. At least that's what I read in the Loney Planet when I was last in Turkey.

There again Turkey were in the Eurovision Song Contest last night... (no I didn't watch it!)

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sun May 13, 2007 4:29 pm

That is the consens. Some might feel different, which is OK since it does not matter much really.
But carefull with these LPs - they can be a bit biased particularly when it comes to all things Turkic (the Caucasus one is biased).

flow

by flow » Sun May 13, 2007 4:33 pm

BigLee wrote:There again Turkey were in the Eurovision Song Contest last night... (no I didn't watch it!)

ukraine was great :shock:
Last edited by flow on Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Proterra

by Proterra » Sun May 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Thin Air wrote:
CA wrote:Actually, it's on the border between the two continents. [...] They were separated by cultural differences which were the result of the mountain range containing Ararat. :)

Just curious - where is that border supposed to run? Conflicts caused by a mtn range - I am a bit confused. I guess you mean that hurly burly during the last centuries?

Personally, I consider it Asia too.

http://www.summitpost.org/object_discussion.php?object_id=195819&type=vote_comments&discussion_id=170013#170013

Commented on the same thing once, physically speaking, Ararat is in Asia. Politcally speaking, it's in Europe. My idea was just to use the definition of "Europe" as the Council of Europe uses it. And just leave Kazachstan out.

brenta

by brenta » Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 pm

CA wrote:Actually, it's on the border between the two continents.

Ararat is entirely in Turkish territory and not even the wackiest theories on where the border runs have it go through there.
CA wrote:However, Europe and Asia geologically are really one continent named Eurasia.

True. The distinction between Europe and Asia is not a geological one.
CA wrote:They were separated by cultural differences which were the result of the mountain range containing Ararat. :)

False. Read the first few chapters of Herodotus.

Return to Europe