Trekking Solo

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
staryrocks

by staryrocks » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:27 am

hi

i'm also about to set off on the annapurna circuit on my own so would like to meet some other trekkers before i start. i'm not sure whether to join a tour group because purely because you'll meet other people or to go on my own and have more flexiblity/ choose who i trek with. i'd rather go independendtly but dont want to be a billy no mates...

any advice would be gratefully received - if anyone out there is doing the same thing as me and wants to meet, give us a shout...

thanks

no avatar
Likoang

by Likoang » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 am

I did a solo trek of the circuit back in March last year and had no problems whatsover. Met lots of trekkers along the way.
Trekking permits do not require a photo.

atavist

by atavist » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:20 pm

did anyone else just sense a disturbance in the matrix?

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:44 pm

baumann_pat wrote:did anyone else just sense a disturbance in the matrix?

Huh?

More on point, and this info is based on a trip over fifteen years ago (1992), but when I went to Nepal, I left the States traveling independently but ultimately hooked up with an Israeli in Bangkok who I traveled with the for next six weeks or so. While you can go trekking by yourself, I don't recall seeing anyone doing it when I did the Annapurna Circuit. The only solos I remember were people who just flew into Manang or Jomson for a quick look around.

I also remember several missing persons posters around Kathmandu of individuals who disappeared while trekking. In reality, these people could have disappeared for any number of reasons--they wanted to, they fell in a river or off a cliff, or maybe something worse. All that notwithstanding, the reason I am glad I trekked with someone was the sense of comraderie and someone to share the experience with. I actually think I met more people because of him, including locals, not less.

Are you doing the Circuit? If so, why are you starting from Pohkara?

tom sewell

solo

by tom sewell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:10 pm

id say definately do not hire an outfit to do the trek. just go. youll meet people on the way easy. i wouldnt worry about safety either.

dmiki

Re: solo

by dmiki » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:54 pm

wildlands1 wrote:id say definately do not hire an outfit to do the trek. just go. youll meet people on the way easy. i wouldnt worry about safety either.

ditto

Possibly cross Thorung La in the company of others to make sure everything is OK healthwise - it's a long day. Or if you want to do a side trip to Tilicho lake - it's good to have somebody watch out for the stones zipping down the slopes while you cross risky sections of the trail.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm definitely NOT advocating that you hire an outfitter. I just think you'll enjoy it more if you hike it with someone and it would be safer if you get off the beaten trek.

Return to Asia