april or october to climb Mera Peak?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Tomás Blázquez

april or october to climb Mera Peak?

by Tomás Blázquez » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 am

Hello!
I'd like to climb Mera Peak (6.476 m.) in Nepal. There are two months (october and april) specially indicated to climb this trekking-peakin this region of Nepal. Which is the best?
Thanks a lot

AndrewSmyth

by AndrewSmyth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:12 am

Tomas

I have been inquiring about Peaks such as Mera, island, etc myself for 2008 and the advice that I have received is that global warming is making the weather much more fickle that usual. As a result, people have been suggesting that Oct is the better period to climb the 'lower' peaks. They it may be colder but also more stable as you are not moving towards the monsoon season.

I'd give a couple of expedition leaders a call and get their opinion as well.

Tomás Blázquez

by Tomás Blázquez » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks a lot by your answer:
I agree that october-november are the best months to climb this "trekking peaks". In april it's possible to, but it's frequent that clouds cover the sky.
Regards :)

tommi

by tommi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:04 pm

In April the sight is ok, and the trees and flowers begin to grow, and you will have some colours on the way, In October all is in grey but the sight is much better...

dmiki

by dmiki » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 am

tommi wrote:In April the sight is ok, and the trees and flowers begin to grow, and you will have some colours on the way, In October all is in grey but the sight is much better...

I second tommi. Go in the spring if you like flowers, go in the autumn if you want to take a lot of photographs as the air will be cleaner following the monsoon.

Return to Asia