trip to peru

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
crazyjohny

trip to peru

by crazyjohny » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:45 am

Howdy, I tried posting in a side post, but recieved little success. I will state our intentions of travel in Peru, and I was wondering if anyone with experience could comment on the feasability. Any help would be appreciated.

- Fly into Lima, see the city for a day.
- Fly to Cusco, explore the town, and area.
- Take a train/bus to Machu Picchu site, hike up to the site itself. Return to Cusco.
- Take a train/bus to Cachora with intentions of hiking to Choquequirao. Camp around the ruins before returning to Cachora.

Questions I have are:

- Do I need to worry about wildlife if camping on the mountains in this area?
- Do I bring american dollars or local currency?

Ok thank you very much!

Haliku

Re: trip to peru

by Haliku » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:29 am

crazyjohny wrote:Howdy, I tried posting in a side post, but recieved little success. I will state our intentions of travel in Peru, and I was wondering if anyone with experience could comment on the feasability. Any help would be appreciated.

- Fly into Lima, see the city for a day. - Easy. Stay in Miraflores if at all possible.
- Fly to Cusco, explore the town, and area. - Easy. Town is at 11k so maybe more than a day?
- Take a train/bus to Machu Picchu site, hike up to the site itself. Return to Cusco. - Easy. Train to MP. To do all in one day is a lot of train and not much ruins. Hike or bus up to site are options--most use bus. Take train to Aguas Caliente and stay the night. Take first bus to ruin and spend most of the day. Take train to Cusco late in the day.
- Take a train/bus to Cachora with intentions of hiking to Choquequirao. Camp around the ruins before returning to Cachora. - Unknown/no experience.
- Do I need to worry about wildlife if camping on the mountains in this area? - No. Nothing that will harm you. (other than bugs)
- Do I bring american dollars or local currency? - Use Sol's. ATM's are the easiest way to get the local $$.

Enjoy the trip. Peru is a great place to visit. Cheers!

crazyjohny

thanks

by crazyjohny » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:22 am

much appreciated, the trip planning is coming together quite well... im stoked to get down there!

Nigel Lewis

by Nigel Lewis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:36 am

Lima - There are some great bars and restaurants in the Barranco area of Lima.

Cusco - You could easily spend a week in and around Cusco. There is lots to see and just sitting in the Square, people watching could soak up a whole day! I've never been there when there isn't something happening. Try Amaru Hostal for central clean rooms.

N

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 am

If you bring any US dollars (or any other currency) with you, make sure they are nice new bills, no rips or tears. You might notify your bank that you are making a trip to Peru and will be using your ATM card there. I always take out US dollars and change to soles at a money changer, you will usually get a better rate.

Climb Huayna Picchu when you are at Machu Picchu, it is fabulous.

Have a great time,

Vic

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 am

Bring Canadian dollars. They'll go further.

hobbes23

Peru

by hobbes23 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:58 am

I just got back from Peru. Cuzco is really cool. The pizza is the best food Peru has to offer especially the wood-fired pizza. The locals don't like American dollars so exchange for soles at the many Money Exchanges in Cuzco. The exchange rate was 4 dollars to 10 soles or 2 1/2 soles to 1 dollar. The only wild animals we encountered were in the Jungle. Tarantualas and cayman. We did the 5 day trek through Salkantay Pass ending up at Machu Pichu and it was spectacular. See pics at link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l23product ... 612851706/

Return to South America