Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Help me plan my spring break in Australia.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
 

Postby dmnz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 am

kozzie is only a few hours walk from the carpark rtn. you could walk the main range circuit quite easily in 2 days
dmnz

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby aec » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 am

I am guessing that your spring break is a northern hemisphere spring which makes it autumn in Australia.

You do not need a guide to climb Koszi (see replies to your previous post http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... b48f0b2cdd). You would probably struggle to even find a guide to take you - it is a very easy stroll.

For information about NSW (including Sydney and the Snowy Mountains) see http://www.visitnsw.com/

Have a great trip.
User Avatar
aec

 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby dmnz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:43 am

by car, by bus, hitch?

if you would normally take a tent on a 2 day trip then yes (i didnt)
there are no huts

kozzie itself is NOT an overnight trip. it shouldnt take more than half a day
dmnz

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby dadndave » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:40 am

Avoid the route via the Thredbo chairlift if you value a wilderness experience. (See Lolli's comments).

I would recommend the Charlotte Pass via main range route (which we used to call the "Lakes Walk" but is now called the main range track)

Second thoughts, I would recommend forgetting about it and go somewhere else where they haven't built a big dunny and a 6km long steel pathway in full view of the summit.

It's bloody depressing. Lucky I had good company. (Hej Lolli)
User Avatar
dadndave
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 13894
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Independent Republic of North Beerwah
Thanked: 1304 times in 858 posts

Postby Damien Gildea » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Arrive in Sydney.
Hire a car.
Drive down the Hume Highway, past Goulburn, almost to Canberra. 3hrs.
Follow signs to Cooma. Go to Cooma. 1.5hrs.
From Cooma follow signs to Jindabyne. 1hr.
From Jindabyne follow signs to Thredbo & Kosciuszko National Park. 45min.
Arrive at Thredbo.
Walk or take chairlift up. AUD$30? 10min.
Walk up steel-grate pathway to Kosciusko summit. 2hrs.
Return same way.

Simple enough?

In summer there is no bus past Cooma. But you can get a bus from Sydney - Canberra - Cooma and hitch or hire a car from there. But hiring a car from Sydney will be cheaper and faster. You can go from Sydney-Thredbo in 6hrs, stay in the HI Youth Hostel, climb Kosciuszko next morning and drive back to Sydney in the afternoon.

D
User Avatar
Damien Gildea

 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:19 pm
Thanked: 227 times in 137 posts

Postby Damien Gildea » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:24 am

http://www.snowybackpackers.com.au/

This is the budget accomodation in Jindabyne (last town before KNP). Send them an email and ask them the best way to get to Thredbo in summer without a car. Getting from Sydney to Cooma by bus is easy. Cooma to Jindabyne is probably another bus. The only problem is Jindabyne to Thredbo. See what they say.

"Spring Break" means nothing in Australia, except the title of stupid movies. We don't have spring breaks. Our spring is in Oct/Nov. I assume you're coming April? April/May it starts to get chilly up on Kozi, but is still OK. March/April is fine.

D
User Avatar
Damien Gildea

 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:19 pm
Thanked: 227 times in 137 posts

Postby Alpinist » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm

dadndave wrote:Avoid the route via the Thredbo chairlift if you value a wilderness experience. (See Lolli's comments).

I would recommend the Charlotte Pass via main range route (which we used to call the "Lakes Walk" but is now called the main range track)

Second thoughts, I would recommend forgetting about it and go somewhere else where they haven't built a big dunny and a 6km long steel pathway in full view of the summit.

It's bloody depressing. Lucky I had good company. (Hej Lolli)

I'll be out there myself in November. How long is the Charlottes Pass route?

The missus is going to take the lift but I'd like to hike up. Can't do the 2 day route though unfortunately. A half day hike would be good. Suggestions?
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 687 times in 458 posts

Postby Ozclimb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:40 am

Alpinist wrote:
dadndave wrote:Avoid the route via the Thredbo chairlift if you value a wilderness experience. (See Lolli's comments).

I would recommend the Charlotte Pass via main range route (which we used to call the "Lakes Walk" but is now called the main range track)

Second thoughts, I would recommend forgetting about it and go somewhere else where they haven't built a big dunny and a 6km long steel pathway in full view of the summit.

It's bloody depressing. Lucky I had good company. (Hej Lolli)

I'll be out there myself in November. How long is the Charlottes Pass route?

The missus is going to take the lift but I'd like to hike up. Can't do the 2 day route though unfortunately. A half day hike would be good. Suggestions?


Yeah the Thredbo chairlift is cheating a little...but from the top of the chairlift it takes about 1hr 20mins to summit without stopping, if you were not to use the chairlift and follow the track under/near the lifts add about another hour and a half one way...... its a nice walk either way! As for Charlottes Pass route cant comment as I havent done that one.
Get in touch if you want some local company :)
cheers
Andy
User Avatar
Ozclimb

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Alpinist » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Ozclimb wrote:
Alpinist wrote:
dadndave wrote:Avoid the route via the Thredbo chairlift if you value a wilderness experience. (See Lolli's comments).

I would recommend the Charlotte Pass via main range route (which we used to call the "Lakes Walk" but is now called the main range track)

Second thoughts, I would recommend forgetting about it and go somewhere else where they haven't built a big dunny and a 6km long steel pathway in full view of the summit.

It's bloody depressing. Lucky I had good company. (Hej Lolli)

I'll be out there myself in November. How long is the Charlottes Pass route?

The missus is going to take the lift but I'd like to hike up. Can't do the 2 day route though unfortunately. A half day hike would be good. Suggestions?


Yeah the Thredbo chairlift is cheating a little...but from the top of the chairlift it takes about 1hr 20mins to summit without stopping, if you were not to use the chairlift and follow the track under/near the lifts add about another hour and a half one way...... its a nice walk either way! As for Charlottes Pass route cant comment as I havent done that one.
Get in touch if you want some local company :)
cheers
Andy

Thanks - I enjoy meeting fellow SPers and would welcome the company. I'll send you a PM with our dates and plans.

I'm still interested to know of any good alternatives to hiking under the chairlift.

How far is it from Charlottes Pass to the summit?
Are there any other good routes that require 4-5 hours to hike from other trailheads?

Any alternative routes/suggestions would be appreciated.
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 687 times in 458 posts

Postby Damien Gildea » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 am

From Charlottes to Kozi is mainly along a disused dirt road, so not necessarily the most enjoyable, though it's a useful route in winter.

A longer and much more scenic hike, though obviously a bit tougher, would be a big loop from CP over to Blue Lake, then up along the higher ground over to Kozi, then back to CP along the dirt road. The track toward Blue Lake should be visible in Nov, but the lake still might have some snow around it for a nicer view. It can get windy up high, and chilly even in summer, but in good weather route-finding is not a problem as there are no big peaks, canyons or trees to get in the way. CP-BlueLake-Carruthers Pk - Kozi summit - CP is about 12 miles. The last section from Kozi back to CP would be easy routefinding along the road and is about 5 miles itself.

Easy to buy maps in Jindabyne, but it's all there on GoogleEarth.

D
User Avatar
Damien Gildea

 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:19 pm
Thanked: 227 times in 137 posts

Postby radson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 am

User Avatar
radson

 
Posts: 1937
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 109 times in 76 posts

Next

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.