C4 Modification?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
tradclimber82

C4 Modification?

by tradclimber82 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:48 am

I got a crazy idea... that terrifies me.

Has anyone out there ever considered, tried, or succeeded in removing the sheath off of a C4?
Other than the inherent risks of modifying gear (in this case damaging the cable while trying to remove the sheath), my initial concern would be that the cables would fray rather quickly. The hope would be to get more flexibility out of the stem. I've got a few pieces that will forever have an arc to them because of a whipper. Any thoughts?

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:56 am

I think it would wear out too fast, and the cam would be too floppy, but if you have a cam that you absolutly have to destroy, go for it.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:01 pm

In that technical friends used to be bare wire and the wear was never very bad on them I think you could get away with this. Just realize when you place the piece that you want to minimize contact between the bare area and the rock.

rpc

by rpc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:32 pm

The hope would be to get more flexibility out of the stem. I've got a few pieces that will forever have an arc to them because of a whipper. Any thoughts?

so you think that it's the plastic sheath that's permanently deformed after a fall? Hence no sheath, no deformation? I have a couple cams kinked like that too but I think it's the cable that's deformed meaning removing plastic would do you no good. But I'm not really sure tho.

SLCompulsion

by SLCompulsion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:14 pm

Doesn't the plastic around the wire supply the required stiffness in order to retract the cams? I mean if you take the plastic off and then try to pull the trigger, won't the cable just flex?

tradclimber82

by tradclimber82 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks. I think I am going to give it a go. I will let you know how it goes. Now... which cam goes to the slaughter...?

Return to Gear