opinions on solo trekking: Kathmandu to Everest Base Camp

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
tigertiger

opinions on solo trekking: Kathmandu to Everest Base Camp

by tigertiger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm a first time (male) trekker heading to EBC last week in September. I'm in good shape. I have planned my trek to last a total of 18 days, staying pretty close to the 1,000 foot per day ascent advice.

I've done quite a bit of research on the trek. In doing so I've come across a few people who seem confident saying that going without a guide is completely achievable. A couple have used a porter after Namche Bazaar.

I'm interested in more opinions on doing the trek without a guide. Also without both a guide or a porter.

Thank you very much!

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes, it's eminently doable. Esp a "Teahouse Trek". Just hike like 5 or 6 hours a day, get to a new teahouse and stop. You can stop at Namche for a couple of days to acclimate and there are some nice dayhikes, to say nothing of world class ice climbing, in the vicinity. If you're a relatively personable human being, you won't be alone for long.

I'm not sure I'd do the EBC. You can't even see Everest from there, though you'll get nice views on the way. I would tend to advise one of the nearby trekking peaks which are available elsewhere on this site.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:37 pm

My advice is based on doing the Annapurna circuit some 15 yrs. ago, but most that I saw were hiking without a guide. Get a good guidebook and you'll do fine, especially on a freeway like EBC.

I think a better question is whether you should go alone. While some trekkers do hike alone, you'll also see throughout Katmandu the occasional poster about missing solo trekkers. I met a good guy in Bangkok and ended up traveling with him to Nepal, on the trek and to India afterward. It made the trip alot more enjoyable in many ways. It was worth it just to have some pictures of myself afterward.

tigertiger

by tigertiger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Thank you for the input!

lansing

by lansing » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:50 pm

People tend to be pretty outgoing while trekking, and you will likely make many new acquaintances in tea house dining rooms. Even if you start the trek alone, you may find yourself forming a sort of ad hoc group with other independent trekkers walking at a similar pace.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Since you have the time, why not try a trekking peak like Lhakpa Ri? You will also go to EBC but have the bonus of getting a spectacular view of Everest's north ridge from LR summit.

Return to Asia