Twisty Rope

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Twisty Rope

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 pm

I searched for this and couldn't find any threads on it. I went climbing today and my rope seemed to twist a lot. I have a Mammut Matterhorn 10,2. I was sport climbing so I was moving from climb to climb. when I was getting lowered I noticed the rope twisting. The sheath pattern is visibly twisting and I can see the rope itself slightly twisting with my weight on it. On mammut's sight twisting is listed under dmamage but it calls it an annoyance.
My first question would be whether or not something is wrong with my rope or if I am doing something wrong.
I flake it most climbs but I dont go foot by foot to make it straight. I just make sure the knots and tangles are out of it. Mammut also said that lowering over a slight edge (common by me) can twist it.
I may just need to flake it better but I wanted to see what everyone had to say.
Thanks

norco17

by norco17 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 am

Areyou belayingwith a munter hitch?

That can cause twisting.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:59 am

Is this a new rope? Did you "unroll" it per the manufacturer's recommendation when you first flaked it out?

The way you or your partner is belaying can also introduce twists. If you're using an ATC or a GriGri off the belay loop, the rope should be aligned more or less vertically - you may have been taught to lock off with your brake hand at your hip, but holding it straight down is more effective. If you're belaying with an eight - well that's your problem right there.

At any rate, if you can find a place to let the rope hang freely for a while, like off the anchors of an overhanging route, that'll help get a lot of the twists out.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:43 pm

I did flake it out as they recommended. I use an atc or guide. Hanging or flaking it thoroughly again should do the trick. It just seemed to be excessive.

mfox79

by mfox79 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:01 am

Another trick I have found was to take your rope to a park and "walk it" take one end and walk the distance of the rope, then have someone hlod one end and walk away while you are holdonf the same side as he walks away, kind of like what you would do with a garden hose or an elictric chord. another trick is to rappell a route the full distance of the the rope to work out the kinks, this is what I do when trick a won't cut it.

Return to Gear