Atacama in Feb. Need peak advice, partners and general info

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
thexcat

Atacama in Feb. Need peak advice, partners and general info

by thexcat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:08 am

Hi,

I'm trying to plan a "last-minute" trip and would very much appreciate some advice and comments about my plans.

I'm heading to La Paz to meet a friend at the end January and making my way down to Atacama by myself in early Feb. I will likely have 10 days there before I need to get to Santiago. I would love to tag some high summits but am a bit concerned about logistics/safety.

Could anybody please advise the easiest peaks in the area? Both in terms of terrain and ease of access. My dream is to hike above 6000 meters, but I am content to hike a 5000m+ peak if it means much easier access. For now, I have found Licancabur as a climbing option, but thought I'd consult with the SP community to see if there are other good options.

Since I will be alone on this leg of the trip, I might try to find either a guide or other hikers. Would San Pedro de Atacama be a good place to look for partners and guides? Any recommendations on good guides? Any idea how much I can expect to pay for a 3-4 day service? I'm trying to keep my costs down, but will spend more if it means quality.

Thanks in advance!

Faster

by Faster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 am

I would suggest Mt. Pissis. Jonsen in Faimbala can set you up. Corax page on the peak has much of the detail you will need. Good luck its a cold windy place.

Return to South America