Jackets and Pants

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Jackets and Pants

by mbmsfreerider » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 am

I'm slowly acquiring the gear for mountaineering and Alpine climbing. I found good deals on the following jackets and pants.

Mountain Hardwear Typhoon hardshell $130
Mountain Hardwear Alchemy softshell(2007) $130
Marmot scree softshell pant $60

Anyway These look really good to me and I might try to get them all or at least one of the jackets. Just wanted to know if there are any opinions on these.

Thanks

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

No point in having a Windstopper softshell and a Paclite rain shell, pick one or the other. If you want a softshell go light such as Patagonia Ascenionist or TNF Cipher. The pants should be fine. You'll want a nice pair of OR gaiters to go with them.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:37 am

Where'd you find the Scree pants for $60?

sharperblue

MH

by sharperblue » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:41 am

have to say, MH's softshells are just about the only thing they've ever produced that i would never buy again from an otherwise superb company - they're uncomfy (IMO) and not particularly durable (not nearly as uncomfy as arcterix' shells, tho...) FWIW, try a shell by Mammut before you jump. my 2 pence

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 pm

I love their softshells - I haven't used the windstopper, but the transition and conduit shells are some of my most-used tops.

Snowy

alchemy

by Snowy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Any "softshell" with windstopper will not breathe well enough to warrant it. An eVent hard shell would breathe better. Windstopper is basically a non-breathable PU laminate sandwich with holes poked in it. Pac-lite won't touch eVent either, but if it's a good enough deal and you won't be using it a lot it might be a good option. Scree's look like a pretty decent all around pant.

kovarpa

Re: MH

by kovarpa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:09 am

sharperblue wrote:have to say, MH's softshells are just about the only thing they've ever produced that i would never buy again from an otherwise superb company - they're uncomfy (IMO) and not particularly durable (not nearly as uncomfy as arcterix' shells, tho...) FWIW, try a shell by Mammut before you jump. my 2 pence

I have had an Alchemy that I have been abusing for five years and it has held up admirably. And Torch's trim fit is one f few jackets that have reasonable sizing for me. Soooo, personal preference, YMMV.

Hotfeet

by Hotfeet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:45 am

I think the MH Alchemy is a great product. It has held up to hard climbing and hiking use for 3-4 years. Just make sure it fits comfortably for you.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 am

The scree pants are at mountaingear.com. the regulars are $58 and the long vesion is $100
Looks like I'll have to go try some on and see what feels the best

Return to Gear