parking passes & motorcycles

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
fossana

parking passes & motorcycles

by fossana » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Does anyone have a clever solution for securely displaying parking passes on motorcycles? Parking in the Angeles NF requires an Adventure Pass or a National Parks Pass, but there's no entrance kiosk. thanks

no avatar
Howard71

by Howard71 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 am

To use my adhesive parking permit on two motorcycles, I cut an aluminum plate slightly larger than the pass, drilled a 3/8 inch hole at one corner, mounted the pass to the plate, and lock the plate to the bike with a small combination lock.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:38 am

I think I remember someone on this website telling me that there are no legal repercussions for ignoring the "tickets" one gets for parking without an Adventure Pass. Is that true?

I have used them in the past, but it was a fucking pain in the ass, being from out of town and trying to find a place that sells these passes in the early morning hours, so I could get an early start on a hike.

My complaint is more about the inconvenience than the five bucks. But it is still irritatingly California-typical enough to squeeze every dollar out of everyone they can, including making people pay to use National Forest land. All over the country, cattle roam and shit all over our National Forest lands for probably less money per year than the $5 it costs me for one day.

You mentioned the National Parks Pass. Does the $80 annual pass work for these National Forest parking places now? If so, do I just leave it on the dashboard for them to see?

For the motorcycle, Howard71 has an idea. It seems that one could either make something or buy something with a plexiglas front that will allow the pass to be slipped in but not allow it to be slipped out when a padlock is through a hole at the opening. Some luggage tags are made like this. Of course it would need to be bigger than a luggage tag to hold the pass, but the luggage-tag design is the idea I'm thinking about.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Day Hiker wrote:You mentioned the National Parks Pass. Does the $80 annual pass work for these National Forest parking places now? If so, do I just leave it on the dashboard for them to see?

Yep. It's that easy. And only $80. :wink:

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:53 am

Day Hiker wrote:I think I remember someone on this website telling me that there are no legal repercussions for ignoring the "tickets" one gets for parking without an Adventure Pass. Is that true?

I have heard that too from someone who I considerable to be a pretty reliable source. That aside I have received a handful of tickets and just threw them away and haven't seen any negative effects of it. I have a National Parks Pass now so I am good to go, but if I ever forget to bring it along, I will not hesitate to leave my car sans Adventure Pass.

Most places in Angeles NF seem to have little to no facilities other than the shoulder on the side of the road to park and the occasional trash can. If they only required the pass in areas where there were facilities I might consider paying for it when needed, but requiring it to just park on the side of the road is a bit absurd in my opinion.

Return to General