Weminuche image orientation, location

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
chursch

Weminuche image orientation, location

by chursch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Fellow Climbers/Trekkers,

I found this image in a Colorado calendar many years ago, and it reminded me of being in the high country. Beautiful flowers, gorgeous mountains. I don't think it said where in the mountains it was, but I felt pretty sure the picture was of the San Juans. The page/picture has been tacked on my dining room wall for many years.

Somewhere along the way, I came across one of my books from the 1990s - Colorado's High Thirteeners, by Garratt and Martin, c.1989. I had an "aha!" moment when I took in the cover photo, a near perfect reversal of the calendar image. I'll bet the book image is the correct orientation, although I cannot be 100% sure. I have never hiked up this particular valley, and have not been to the San Juans more than a few times :-(. Anybody know the correct orientation? The book says only this is a photo of the Weminuche Wilderness, and that the photo is by Gary Koontz. I like the moon over the top of the sharp peak in the background.

Also, which set of peaks are we looking at here? Trail?

I found only one Weminuche Wilderness entry on SP. I suppose I might figure this one out with some time on the internet, but if someone knows this scene, that would save some effort.

It's a long ways to the San Juans from the Denver area. Most of my climbing was Front Range stuff, with some forays to the back ranges. In 1989, I moved to the SF Bay Area in CA to take a software engineering position, and have been out here since. The Sierras are awesome, but it's a big deal to get there too, comparable to the San Juans from Denver. Coast Range hiking is nice, and the Trinities are kind of like a small version of the Sierras. My girlfriend in Denver gave me the book, likely to tease me back for more time in CO...

Looks like one heck of a glacier or two came down that valley in the lower right of the calendar shot. Well-rounded floor.

Thanks,
Chuck
Larkspur, CA

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Johnson Creek, east side of Columbined Pass looking generally SE to Amherst and Organ mountains.

One of the photos is backwards, but I can't recall which angle is correct.

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:47 am

Looked familiar to me. That valley is great. I climbed Jupiter from that valley. Wish I lived in Durango ;)

Return to Colorado