Wapta Icefield Traverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
hendrickvp

Wapta Icefield Traverse

by hendrickvp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:50 am

Myself and a buddy are headed up to the Wapta Icefield this week... Right now we are planning on an in-and-out, but would like to go one way. Does anyone know of a shuttle or persons willing to assist in a shuttle?

Dow Williams

Re: Wapta Icefield Traverse

by Dow Williams » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

hendrickvp wrote:Myself and a buddy are headed up to the Wapta Icefield this week... Right now we are planning on an in-and-out, but would like to go one way. Does anyone know of a shuttle or persons willing to assist in a shuttle?

Not a free one if that is what you are looking for. We would use two personal vehicles ourselves. But the Num-Ji-Jah lodge, 403-522-2167 (Simpsons) can probably work something out for you if you want to pay for it. You could wing it, as you will meet a few folks at the Bow Hut, most of which will have parked at the Lodge. That is the direction I advise you to go in if picking up a free ride is your objective. Cheers.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:58 am

North to South makes the most sense for the Traverse which means you come out on Highway 1 at the West Louise Lodge. Note that it is closed this winter so there will be no help there unless you have left a car. They used to have a van that went back and forth to Lake Louise but not if they are closed. May be a pay phone to call a cab from Lake Louise but would not count on it and would cost. Do not expect cell phone to work - maybe can hitch hike or arrange a ride with someone else you meet on the traverse.

If going in by Bow hut then can go to Balfour, Peyto or Scott Duncan and then back out by Bow which means redoing some sections but interesting either way.

Return to Canada and Alaska