Sherpa Adventure Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Flatlander2climb

Sherpa Adventure Gear

by Flatlander2climb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:36 am

Hey all,

So it appears I have a jacket thing....ha....I'm interested in getting a softshell with a hood to replace a couple of softshells I currently have that I'm not quite happy with (neither have hoods....I like one of them a bit more than the other but I'd probably give them both away or sell them for the right hoodie shell). I ran across a couple of good deals on Sherpa Adventure Gear's Khangri hooded softshell and I was curious to know if anyone had any experience with Sherpa's stuff and how good/or bad it was? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Andy

QITNL

by QITNL » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 pm

I don't know the jacket you mention, but I picked up a Sherpa Thyangboche Down Sweater a couple of years ago. Just saw that it's on sale here:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp ... 99_a8a13a1

It's perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Nice materials and workmanship, warm and lightweight, all the features and details I'd want with no extra garbage.

Flatlander2climb

got it

by Flatlander2climb » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I ended up ordering the Khangri hooded softshell in Large, Black. Just got it yesterday morning and so far I like it. Looks great, it seems windproof at frst impression (we had some wind last night here in the Flint Hills and it blocked it out), the hood fits nicely (although it's a little bit small for my head if I had a helmet on). Overall I feel like it was a great buy. Got it for $75, new with tags on ebay when the retail value was $170. Only gripe is I wish it were about an inch longer as it comes to just below my belt, and it's sleeves are not articulated so if I were to take it climbing it would ride up easily. I guess it's not the Arcteryx Gamma MX hoody and I currently don't have the time or all the resources resources to go climbing so it was only going to be an around town/camping/hiking hoody for the time being anyway so I can't complain much. One of these days I'll be able to, and will invest in something with all the features money can buy, but until then the Khangri is going to do just fine! (and a percentage of the proceeds from the purchase goes to support the Sherpa people so it's kind of a feel good buy at that)

no avatar
crackers

by crackers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 am

Personally, I think a lot of the Sherpa Adventure stuff is very very good indeed. They do have a bit of a confusing number of levels in terms of what's climbing clothing and what's, um, leisure wear.

My friend Joe Puryear ( climbnepal.blogspot.com ) is one of their sponsored athletes, and loves their stuff. I have to say that a lot of the other sponsored folks I know do NOT always say nice things about their free stuff...

Return to Gear