Acli-mate sports drink: is it really effective?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Jesus Malverde

Acli-mate sports drink: is it really effective?

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:23 am

Hi folks,
Sorry if someone has posted this question already. The summitpost forums don't seem to have a search function.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with the sports drink acli-mate?
http://www.acli-mate.com/

SP member christinestella mentions using it on her Winter Denali attempt this spring. She seems to have had good results with acli-mate and recommends it (see the Summitpost Alaska/Canada forum: page 3). I looked on their website, but there's not much "hard science" on the acli-mate.com website.

I admit I'm a bit skeptical. It looks like one could substitute Emergen-c packets and just take Ginkgo biloba suppliments.
Does anyone out there have some good information?
Thank you in advance.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm

"Acli-mate sports drink: is it really effective?"

Of course it is! Any sports drink that has water in it is effective! After all, water is the active ingredient. :wink:

Ze

by Ze » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:31 pm

lol. wow gotta love marketing

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 am

Yeah, this is nothing more than a vitamin drink. I don't see anything in the ingredient list that prevents AMS.

You gotta wonder why the FDA allows such advertising.

I never really understood the importance of adequate hydration in the prevention of frostibite and AMS until I became a doctor. Climbers at altitude really need to drink a lot more fluids than they do. Warm fluids are really helpful.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Yeah, this is nothing more than a vitamin drink. I don't see anything in the ingredient list that prevents AMS.

I never really understood the importance of adequate hydration in the prevention of frostibite and AMS until I became a doctor. Climbers at altitude really need to drink a lot more fluids than they do. Warm fluids are really helpful.

Because our gutless politicians don't want to offend any potential voters (or contributors) by voting for laws that limit the snake oil business.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm

FortMental wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Yeah, this is nothing more than a vitamin drink. I don't see anything in the ingredient list that prevents AMS.

Because our gutless politicians don't want to offend any potential voters (or contributors) by voting for laws that limit the snake oil business.

Let's all give a big hand to: Orrin "Cocksmoker" Hatch!!

+1!

Return to Technique and Training