Lets See Your Skills...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Levi

Lets See Your Skills...

by Levi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 am

Moni

by Moni » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I'd better if I could spell these ranges. 23

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Neat quiz. Like Moni I could have done better if I knew how to spell the names.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:08 am

Only got 12 but then, I guess I can't spell. Cool quiz though!

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 am

18 but English is not my language

desainme

by desainme » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 am

21 spelling is tuff

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 am

I got 35, but I disagree with the test on several of them.

#1. The quiz says the one in Alaska is the Alaska Range. The indicator is not on the Alaska Range, but around the Saint Elias Range.

#2. The Scandinavian Mountains? I always thought this was supposed to be the Kjolen. can anyone from Europe comment?

#3. New Guinea Highlands? To me this should either be the Snowy Range or the local name.

I don't think I'm giving anything away above since I disagree with the answers of the quiz anyway.

Also, the ones in Eastern Russia have several alternate spellings, so it's a hard one. If it were a matching test, it would be more fair.

Anyway, the ones I missed (besides the above):

One of the Russian ranges, I'd never heard of and I wouldn't have gotten it regarless of spelling.

I thought one of them in Africa was the Rwensori, but it wasn't (hint for next person). (I kept thinking they wanted another spelling of Rwensori).

The others were spelling errors for the Russian Ranges.

I got lucky with the Sumatra one and would have gotten it wrong if it weren't for the fact that Sumatra is our next trip and I've been reading up on it.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 am

I think it's generally called Scandinavian Mountains Scott. It's Skanderna or Fjällen in Swedish, in Finnish Köli and in Norwegian Kjølen. Kölen would be a less used name in Swedish. So in English (that website's language) is Scandinavian Mountains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Mountains

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:54 am

So in English (that website's language) is Scandinavian Mountains:

Sounds good, but a lot of English sources use Kjolen as well:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 4f84435186

That's why a quiz using matching to the map would be fair.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 am

Though I know Apeninos (in Spanish) I didn't know that it has two Ps in English (Appenines) so I was wrong in the game. You are right, it should be ask "match those ranges in the map"

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:16 am

Scott wrote:
So in English (that website's language) is Scandinavian Mountains:

Sounds good, but a lot of English sources use Kjolen as well:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 4f84435186

They could be using the local name though they are English sites. Anyway, I hope that anyone of our Scandinavian SPers can help us tomorrow. It's very late here in Western Europe.

Nite

hansw

by hansw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Diego,

The most used Swedish name is as you said: Fjällen which is plural of Fjäll being a single mountain. The English Scandinavian Mountains sounds good to me.

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Skanderna is not used in Sweden. As Hans said, we say "Fjällen".

But this discussion is old, we had it when I created the page The Scandes. The name Scandinavian Mountains wasn't good enough either. And Kjölen is as local for it as is Fjällen.
Therefore I called the Royal Geological Institute and asked what the English name was for that mountain chain. They came back with the name The Scandes.

But I agree with others in this thread - there were many names that unexpectedly didn't work.

isostatic

by isostatic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:19 am

My thoughts on this subject are as follows:

Skanderna
I have seen Skanderna (The Scandes) used a few times, but only professionally by geographers or geologists.

Kölen
The common Norwegian name Kjølen (Swedish: Kölen) I have also seen a few times in Swedish, but usually in a poetic or literary context. It means "the keel", and possibly comes from viewing the Scandinavian peninsula as a (viking) boat turned upside down, with the mountain range as the keel. Chewbacca claims that its Norwegian use is just for the mountains along the border. That may be logical, as the border between Norway and Sweden follows the water divide (except in the extreme south).

Fjällen
For me, the word Fjäll is just a big mountain, snowclad most of the year. Smaller mountains are called berg. Fjällen is the plural definite form used for a group of fjäll.

I have never regarded the name Fjällen as a name for the Scandinavian mountain range, and especially not for that part that lies completely in the south of Norway.

The Norweigian call any mountain a fjell, but then of course there are no small mountains in Norway. :D

For me the typical Swedish use of fjällen, is that of people telling what they are going to do on their winter vacation: "We are going to fjällen" (meaning going skiing in the mountains).

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

Chewbacca wrote:Regarding the mountains in Scandinavian:

Something like 80-90 % of the mountains are situated in Norway. The name Skanderne (The Scandes) is practically unknown in Norway. There is only 2 (two) Google references in Norway to Skanderne. You have to be a Geologist to have heared the name.

Skanderne/Skandarne/The Scandes is (from what I gathered) a name used in Sweden for the mountains.

Kjølen is in Norway popularily used as a name for the (lowish) mountains along the border between Norway and Sweden - not the main mountain areas inside Norway or the mountains inside Sweden.

Scandinavian Mountains is probably the only correct name for the mountains in Scandinavia.

Skanderne is not used in Denmark either!

Next

Return to General