Interval timers

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
Dan Shorb

Interval timers

by Dan Shorb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Anyone use one or have tips on what good ones can do.?

sshankle

by sshankle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 am

I normally use a simple Timex Iornman. It can be set for a single interval, and will repeat. It has a 10 sec tone at the end of the intervals, so it makes a tabata timer as well (set for 30 sec, rest during the tone, work between tones).

I occasionally use a Everlast fight timer, has a couple options for round time and rest between rounds.

Gymboss timers are the ones I hear the most about. I use one at the gym occasionally, but usually nothing more complex that my examples above. I think they'll do alot more. gymboss.com

Good luck!

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 am

sshankle wrote:I normally use a simple Timex Iornman. It can be set for a single interval, and will repeat. It has a 10 sec tone at the end of the intervals, so it makes a tabata timer as well (set for 30 sec, rest during the tone, work between tones).

I occasionally use a Everlast fight timer, has a couple options for round time and rest between rounds.

Gymboss timers are the ones I hear the most about. I use one at the gym occasionally, but usually nothing more complex that my examples above. I think they'll do alot more. gymboss.com

Good luck!

Thanks!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 pm

I've got a Timex Ironman that has 2 timers. I use the simple countdown/repeat timer for long runs and easy runs where all my miles are at the same pace. I use the interval timer for tempo runs and speedwork. It allows me to enter multiple intervals of time to be counted down. For example 9:31 warmup mile, 7:51 speed mile, 6:00 jog 1/2 mile, 7:51 speed mile, 6:00 jog 1/2 mile, 7:51 speed mile, 6:00 jog 1/2 mile, 9:31 cool down mile. Each of these intervals is programmed into thhe watch it it goes off at the end of each.

no avatar
jthomas

Here it is

by jthomas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 pm

If you are serious about intervals, get this one. Perfect for Tabata intervals like they do in Crossfit. You can set it for the number/length of the intervals. It gives you a countdown series of beeps before each work interval and rest interval changeover. Plus it resets automatically so you never have to mess with it. Just press Start and pound away. I put velcro on the back and keep it on my Versaclimber right at eye level.

http://www.bodytronics.com/p/seiko_stopwatches/SE52

Jim Thomas

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 pm

After reading this thread last week I bought a GymBoss, AND I LOVE IT! Clean, simple, inexpensive and does all I need it to do for HIIT training. Scott

Return to Technique and Training