bivouac.com worthwhile?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
sshankle

bivouac.com worthwhile?

by sshankle » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Just curious if this site is worth the $25. Any experience with it?

I'm planning a mountaineering trip to the Canadian Rockies. Beta for these peaks is so much less that in the US... I can't wait!

Specifically, I'm looking for beta on the couloirs on the NE face of the Vice President.

Thanks!

Jay Ewing

Canadian Rockies Climbing

by Jay Ewing » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Bivouac is great, but you won't need it to find good information on where you are going. Check out Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies by Sean Dougherty - It is a great guide.

I hope you have a great time...it is hard to beat climbing in the Rockies![/i]

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Google "canadian rockies alpine climbs" takes one to the most popular source of beta on the web...but I don't know anyone who has beta on the NE face of V.Pres. Graeme Pole, an infamous local hiking guide author, normally seeking such snow lines, has done the NW face....you might try emailing him.

mvs

by mvs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Bivouac.com is in a way, one of the coolest web sites ever built. Incredible info for Vancouver-based climbers. It's a real location database, you can search for any objects around a particular lat/long. This is useful for the Coast Range, where knowing if a particular logging road is open or blocked can be the most important information about the climb. The site is also quirky, demanding and expensive. In 2004 and 2005 I had a membership and put a lot of effort in, uploading gps tracks for various Cascade locations. Not living there anymore, I can't justify the cost, so I can't see that stuff any more.

I think for the Rockies I'd just buy some good alpine guidebooks.

sshankle

by sshankle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks for all the info guys!

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:50 pm

I think you are referring to the couloirs on the lookers left side of the VP north face when looking up at the VP-P col. I haven't climbed these, but according to Glen Boles' out of print guidebook the central couloir is about a dozen pitches of snow changing to steeper ice bulges, with a cornice crux - description based on a September climb from 1970's.
Good luck!

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:55 am

If you haven't already signed up for bivouac.com, I can tell you it doesn't have specific information on those couloirs. Route information is hit or miss. Most of it is in the form of trip reports, which can be incredibly useful, or not. There are some great photos that can help a lot, though.

Return to Canada and Alaska