Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Alpine climber

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby OJ Loenneker » Thu May 27, 2010 1:18 am

Better yet, what do you call it if you do all that shit, plus ride a plastic childrens sled off the summit back to base? Sled-alpinism? EXXXXXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpine assault? Bobsled Alpinist? What if you sled the talus and scree in the summer? EXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpint assault technician?

Why all the labels?
OJ Loenneker

Postby ZethKinnett » Thu May 27, 2010 1:39 am

OJ Loenneker wrote:Better yet, what do you call it if you do all that shit, plus ride a plastic childrens sled off the summit back to base? Sled-alpinism? EXXXXXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpine assault? Bobsled Alpinist? What if you sled the talus and scree in the summer? EXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpint assault technician?

Why all the labels?

You call it lame because you brought skis and ended up sledding down.
ZethKinnett

Postby OJ Loenneker » Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 am

ZethKinnett wrote:
OJ Loenneker wrote:Better yet, what do you call it if you do all that shit, plus ride a plastic childrens sled off the summit back to base? Sled-alpinism? EXXXXXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpine assault? Bobsled Alpinist? What if you sled the talus and scree in the summer? EXXXTREEEEEME Sled alpint assault technician?

Why all the labels?

You call it lame because you brought skis and ended up sledding down.

Well, I guess that is the problem after all... :roll: :roll: :roll:
OJ Loenneker

Postby Lolli » Thu May 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Thank you.

OJ Lönnåker, to talk about the same thing.
Lolli

Postby adventurer » Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm

I agree with Damien.
adventurer

Postby Diggler » Thu May 27, 2010 5:04 pm

An Alpine Climber:
Diggler

Postby MoapaPk » Thu May 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Jed {Clampett} was a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.
MoapaPk

Postby Marmaduke » Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Jed {Clampett} was a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.

He was though a proud Hillbilly
Marmaduke

Postby Luciano136 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I always thought of an alpinist as a person who climbs technical routes in the mountains. So, in my opinion, an alpinist belongs to the larger groups of mountaineers.
Luciano136

Postby The Chief » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm

You'd know if you were one....

Image & Image

NUFF SAID!
The Chief

Postby lowlands » Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Without going too far into this topic, I've always thought of alpine style being fast and light, self-sufficient climbing. One who partakes in that, I guess can be an alpinist?
lowlands

Postby JackCarr » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Alpinism and Alpine Style are hugely different. Alpinism is climbing mountains in an alpine environment. Alpine style is climbing mountains in an alpine environment by shunning camps and fixed ropes, taking as little as possible and getting to the summit in one push.
JackCarr

Postby Lolli » Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm

I agree with several posters here, but the reason for this thread was that I realised that it wasn't a given. And who am I to say my truth is the right one? Therefore I thought it'd be interesting to see how other experienced climbers defined it.
Lolli

Postby Diggler » Thu May 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Alpinism: A form of climbing involving over-rating the difficulty of routes when elevations are greater than those of nearby "crags." Greater importance is often given to attaining the top of a given formation than the relative difficulty of the climb. This pursuit is enjoyed primarily by segments of the population with expendable income, allowing travel to said locations. Although typically monetarily better equipped than their fellow humans, these individuals do however have the distinction of being impervious to extremely cold temperatures; long, involved, and unpleasant approaches; poor rock quality; marginal camp food; and uncomfortable camping ("bivouac") conditions. This conversely allows them to justify the lesser climbing difficulties, & even "spray" about the extreme nature of their climbs, to their fellow cragsmen, who lack this imperviousness. Advanced tools, basically useless for any other purpose than that for which they were designed, are frequently employed as aids to ascension. Also see: mountaineering ant. bouldering

Alpine climbing: A recreational pursuit in which a person seeks to attain the highest point of a given rock formation. Incredible importance is placed on carrying all of ones belongings on ones back, in one push, to the highest camp or possibly the summit. Indigenous populations can be employed to assist in carrying the gear to an often arbitrary ‘starting’ point, or in some cases, guide one to a desired location (oftentimes higher than all other surrounding locations). It is worth pointing out that entire industries have been built in regions of exaggerated elevation for the express purpose of ensuring that individuals attain the highest point of a given projection. The use of supplemental oxygen as an ascent aid is a great transgression; those found to have violated this rule are excommunicated. Those who undertake this pursuit ("alpinists") frequently like to point out their superiority over "expedition climbers," who use a "climb high, sleep low" mantra, which provides an added factor of safety, allowing for a greater margin of error. Expedition climbers typically have no qualms about using bottled oxygen as an ascent aid.
Last edited by Diggler on Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diggler

PreviousNext

Return to General