St Helens - snowshoes needed?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
EastKing

by EastKing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:55 am

Best bet, bring both. The worst that will happen is that you will carry 6 pounds extra. If you don't bring the snowshoes though it might cost you the summit. I have had to used snowshoes on all of my last four trips on Middle Chiwaukum, North Chiwaukum, Painted Mountain and Union Peak.

BCJ

by BCJ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:52 am

I was up two weeks ago and carried snowshoes and crampons and didn't use either. I was up pretty early (summited about an hour after sunrise) so things were still very solid on the way up. However, if I was going up any later in the day I would have used the snowshoes. There were a few icy spots that some people felt more comfortable using crampons on. You'd be smart to at least carry one or the other (I'd recommend hauling both).

WICLIMBER

by WICLIMBER » Wed May 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello all, I got permits for next tuesday (18th), wondering if I should bring the snowshoes with? Anybody been up from Marble Mtn Snopark lately?
thanks
Brandon

Vinny

sneakers on mothers day

by Vinny » Sat May 29, 2010 12:41 am

Was up a few weeks ago and carried skis and boots so I could go light ans fast in my sneakers. great boot pack the normal route and then ski whereever you choose!

fun day out- esp with the mother's day dress tradition - novel.

billisfree

by billisfree » Sat May 29, 2010 3:08 am

I climbed St Helen May 17th starting at 3 am.

Snow was slighly slushy all the way up. It was even more slushy coming down.

Snowshoes not needed. Just be careful near the ridges where snow meets the rocks/dirt.

Waterproof your boots real good. Follow the tracks of others. Near the top, bear left or you'll be post-holing in the snow.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)