Winter conditions in Rocky Mountain National Park

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
daw37

Winter conditions in Rocky Mountain National Park

by daw37 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 am

I'm thinking of coming over to Denver, and mainly Rocky Mountain National Park to do some winter mountaineering at the end of April next year (I have a particular window at work!) I wondered what the conditions are typically like - I know it varies from year to year but I was looking more generally.

If I'm over from the UK for a week is there a real risk of a strom which could stop me hiking for a good part of the holiday? Or could I find access to roads up to Bear Lake / Horseshoe Meadows a problem - my understanding is they try to keep them open but I don't know how successfully...

Any help appreciated. Having been over before I'd love to do some winter stuff in RMNP but don't want to travel all that way to sit in a motel for a week or just stay on lower trails.

Excuse the question - I'm from the UK so have no idea what its like in winter in the Rockies. I've tried googling for information but its on the whole pretty general...

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Colorado in April generally has a lot of snowfall. March and April are the two snowiest months here. In RMNP you can probably expect a lot of snow yet but there is a good chance you can see nothing but sunshine as well.

I did a search for trip reports on 14ers.com for March and April, just to get a sense for you - and it looks like conditions can vary.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

All in all, I think you can expect there to be snow - bring snowshoes, crampons, and/or skis.

Matt
http://www.100summits.com

Bill Reed

Re: Winter conditions in Rocky Mountain National Park

by Bill Reed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 am

daw37 wrote:I'm thinking of coming over to Denver, and mainly Rocky Mountain National Park to do some winter mountaineering at the end of April next year (I have a particular window at work!) I wondered what the conditions are typically like - I know it varies from year to year but I was looking more generally.

If I'm over from the UK for a week is there a real risk of a strom which could stop me hiking for a good part of the holiday? Or could I find access to roads up to Bear Lake / Horseshoe Meadows a problem - my understanding is they try to keep them open but I don't know how successfully...

Any help appreciated. Having been over before I'd love to do some winter stuff in RMNP but don't want to travel all that way to sit in a motel for a week or just stay on lower trails.

Excuse the question - I'm from the UK so have no idea what its like in winter in the Rockies. I've tried googling for information but its on the whole pretty general...

Access to Bear Lake or Horseshoe Meadows not a problem, never seen those roads closed. As Matt said, lots of snow in April. Almost all activity in the park in April will involve traveling over snow. Snowshoes or skis can be rented in Estes Park or in approach cities on the plains.
Good luck!

Bill Reed

Re: Winter conditions in Rocky Mountain National Park

by Bill Reed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 am

duh
Last edited by Bill Reed on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

daw37

by daw37 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks guys - lots of snow isn't a problem, as long as I can get a few days up in the mountains.

Matt - thanks for the links, I hadn't thought of using that approach to find out examples of conditions.

Bill - thanks for the road info, and you answered my unanswered question of whether snow shoes can be rented. Unsurprisingly you don't get much call for them in the UK!

Return to Colorado