Anyone have any experience w/Yosemite's Fern Ledge trail?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

Anyone have any experience w/Yosemite's Fern Ledge trail?

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:35 pm

I've been looking at that place for years, and couldn't really find out anything about it until I just discovered that it's (duh) called Fern Ledge.

The reason I ask is that I have a photographer g/f who would like to see it with me, but she has vertigo, and the trail and area around it look like bad news for those with something like that.

Thanks!

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:09 am

I grew up reading John Muir's books and I loved the story about Fern Ledge. I hiked up there about thirty years ago to experience it for myself. The waterfall was cranking as I inched my way out. My hands are sweating as I type this now as I recall how slick the rock was on the ledge. I got pretty far out but I reached a spot on the ledge that was too slick, too wet and too damn high! It was all I could do to get back to the easy terrain.

After reading your post, I googled Fern Ledge Trail and I was surprised to see the websites with directions and pictures of the 'trail'. It is interesting to read about the different experiences that hikers have on the trail.

I think that the route is a spicy way to get to a great view of Yosemite Falls. If you hike often on a variety of terrain, like slabs or loose rock, you'll be fine on the route. Someone who doesn't do well on exposed slabs will not enjoy the route, and neither will anyone who is with them. The way I remember it, the slabs part of the route is above Lower Yosemite Falls, maybe there are other slabs that aren't quite so exposed. If you do head up there with your GF, be patient and maybe it would be a good idea to take a rope, in case that vertigo kicks in.

Return to California