free camping outside of Stanley??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
climbingchic

free camping outside of Stanley??

by climbingchic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm heading to the sawtooths the beginning of August, from 4-10. Is there any free camping within about 10 miles or so east of stanley? I don't need any facilities and wouldn't expect any with free camping.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Not sure where you are intending to be, but there are spots with dispersed camping here and there. Try Decker Flats (near the trailhead for Hell Roaring Lake), or up 4th of July Creek.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Somewhat dated, but a number of years ago we found EXCELLENT drive-in camping along the headwaters of the main Salmon. Great flat campsites and easy access on a dirt FS road off the highway south of Stanley.

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 pm

When out with the fam (car camping) we always take the turnoff to the Iron Creek Trailhead (west of town?). Along the dirt road are a plethora of good campsites with water access from Iron Creek. It's typically quiet and is easy access to any of the main start-off points in the Sawtooth Mountains. Also to note is there are existing firepits in these camp areas, and you generally do not need to even bring firewood. I've been simply walking across the dirt road to the slash piles and taking what I want. Doing this for the past 2 years with no issues.

Good luck with your hike... maybe we'll see ya on the trails!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)