Mt. Washington & Katahdin in summer, trekking poles?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
chocodove

by chocodove » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, we made it up Baxter Peak this past Tuesday. Wonderful day for it. We ended up taking Helon, over the Knife Edge, and down the Saddle. In all honesty, my girlfriend and I didn't find the Pamola/Chimney notch to be that difficult at all. I felt that there were sketchier parts while going up Huntington Ravine.

Apparently, the week prior to us getting there was bad at Baxter. The ranger at Roaring Brook in the morning was giving some stern warnings due to multiple airlifts in the preceding days.

All in all, a really wonderful hike and we are sad to be back after spending a few days there. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Glad you two had good times & weather. It is always sad to leave baxter.

jcoalter

Did It

by jcoalter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank for all the advice! I found this much easier than Huntington for some reason. Notch was not easy, but not as bad as we thought. The Knife Edge was AMAZING. I think the hardest part was going down the slide on the Saddle, mostly because the knees were tired by then. The trekking poles were a huge help. Can't wait to go back.

James_W

Re: Did It

by James_W » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:47 pm

jcoalter wrote:Thank for all the advice! I found this much easier than Huntington for some reason. Notch was not easy, but not as bad as we thought. The Knife Edge was AMAZING. I think the hardest part was going down the slide on the Saddle, mostly because the knees were tired by then. The trekking poles were a huge help. Can't wait to go back.

I know huntington has 2 sections of class 3. Most people I see have problems on the start of the fan once you cross runoff. I think once most people get past the 2 or 3 moves they realized they are commited and it is now no way but up.

Reminds me of this group of 3 teenagers that had 1 250ml bottle of juice, jean shorts and wife beaters. They took the bus up and thought Huntington looked less steep than Tuckerman. I tried to talk them out of it but they wouldnt listen. Unless you are used to climbing the descent down Huntington would probably be pretty sketchy.

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)