Sleeping pad for multi-day climbs?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Kai

Sleeping pad for multi-day climbs?

by Kai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:42 pm

What sleeping pads do folks take with them on multi day climbs?

I've got a number of options: (all 3/4 length)

1.5 cm thick Evazote pad: weight 16 oz, R value 2.06 indestructable, bulky, least warmth (althouth my real world experience indicates that it should have a higher R value than its specs indicate.)

Thermarest Prolite Plus: weight 17 oz, R value 3.8 compact, warm, liable to puncture

NeoAir pad: weight 9 oz, R value 2.5 compact, light, liable to puncture

mrchad9

Re: Sleeping pad for multi-day climbs?

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I always use short length too.

Bought the NeoAir this year. Love it for the space and weight savings. All I use now (good thing due to the cost). And I take a couple of the patches for it (just stickers, they weigh nothing). Before that had the REI brand version of the Prolite Plus 1.5 inches think, basically the same thing, and I liked it fine.

fossana

by fossana » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 pm

I just picked up the chick version of one of these. The one I have weighs only 1 lb and has proved to be a good balance between weight and comfort so far.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 pm

For sleeping on snow I traded in my Prolite 4 (had used it since 2005 or 2006) for the new Prolite Plus earlier this year and have been impressed so far. I use the short size.

For regular 3-season stuff I just bring an old ridgerest that has been cut down to about 36". Weighs about 7 oz ? In my ultralight pack it serves as an internal frame, or can be rolled up and attached easily to my aether or other framed packs. No issues with deflating due to punctures :)

climbxclimb

Z-lite..

by climbxclimb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 pm

The NeoAir is very compact, almost unbelievable how small it gets when is packed...and light 14oz, 2.5 R value....but if you are climbing alpine with crampons there is the risk to puncture it.

The Z-lite instead being a traditional foam mattress does not suffer from that problem.
It is bulkier and the R value is 2.2, but the weight is the same and it requires zero time to be set up...oh…ad did I mention the price….$30 against the $160 of the NeoAir…

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Neo Air with a 1/8" closed-cell foam pad underneath (alpine) and one overtop (cold weather).

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 am

I have used the NeoAir on quite a few trips now, ranging from 5ºF to warm summer camping. It's not quite a revolution, but it's good enough that if it were stolen tonight I'd buy another.

I have the full-length version, and use it with a cut-down z-lite (8 panels) in the winter, which has been just fine. However, I recently spent several nights on frozen ground at altitude, and was very happy. How hard you inflate it makes a large difference in R-value - when pumped up nice and firm (too firm for optimum comfort, IMO), it's at it's warmest, which I have found to be very adequate for anything but camping on snow.

It has been very durable. I am not easy on gear (very rough, actually), and it's fine. It's no easier to pop than a self-inflating mattress, and just as easy to patch.

If I was to do it again I'd get the small. I end up using my pack for my feet anyway, and using it for my legs would be no big deal. The extra 5oz is nothing to scoff at, and I can only imagine how tiny the package would be.

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm

I use a full length thermarest Z lite for darn near everything... Its very lite, can be folded into a chair and it is a foam cell so there is no chance for puncture. It folds up well and is easily strapped in many positions on many packs. Not to mention warm and comfy year round! (for me)

If i remember correctly, its moderately affordable at about $40 USD. I have a guide lite self inflating pad as well, but it is a little heavier, cost was about $75 USD and I have popped it. It repairs well but when climbing, ease and simplicity, teamed with functionality is what I lean towards.

Return to Gear