Climbing Instructor Dies on Mount Rainier

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 am

Gary Schenk wrote:
dskoon wrote:I must say, just to further the ol' debate, that when a certain fella from Texas and I did climb on Hood, with our guide, we short-roped up, with the guide in front, without placing any pro. I've talked with a few people since about this, and some think that is plain crazy, though I think short-roping, w/out placing pro, does have its place; least I was convinced so at the time. :wink:
What do you all think?

You got maybe a 50/50 chance of being able to self-arrest in most cases. And that is if you know what you're doing and you stick it RIGHT NOW.

So, then, why do many guide services use the short-rope technique, if it's only 50/50?
They must either A: train their clients very well to self-arrest should there be a fall, or,
B: clients must not fall very often, or C: when they do fall, they either self-arrest right away(maybe!), or the guide on the short rope breaks their fall. Again, from what I've ascertained, many guide companies employ this method. Certainly only in the "right" situations, ie, not on a crevassed mountain like Rainier, but. . . on the right slope, conditions, etc.

Kai

by Kai » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 pm

Tom Patey: "A solo climber: a man who falls alone. A roped team: climbers who fall together."

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Dow Williams wrote:It is my opinion that way more folks die due to being roped up to each other vs die from a fall in a crevasse solo on these popular tourist mountains......I warn all the time of the false sense of security flatlanders and others get out of being roped up to their fellow man (and thus lack of interest training). Rock, snow or ice....if it is steep enough to fall, we either solo or place gear if roped. Now I am not some big safety dude preaching on how much everyone should be afraid to die. I am actually quite opposite and have soloed a ton of steep rock and glacier terrain in my years at it, but then I don't fear death as much as others....say some of those Grizzly haters....3 is the safest number on a roped team, 4 is a cluster, 2, you both have to be experts at crevasse rescue.

This says it best, an unprotected rope, on steep terrain, is nothing but a suicide pact.....

Previous

Return to News