Beijing: rainy day dream away the sun took a holiday

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
pearson

Beijing: rainy day dream away the sun took a holiday

by pearson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:39 am

Sorry for the non-mountain related post but I'm sitting in my hotel in Beijing trying to figure out what to do. It's raining hard. I've been to the great wall, the summer palace, and the forbidden city (am considering returning to forbidden city today in spite of the rain).

What to do in Beijing on a really rainy day? Something near the subway?

I kind of want to stay on the tourist trail today since I've been down with dysentery and need frequent pit stops.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 am

read the "females in climbing" thread :) it'll keep you busy, if you have a laptop you can read it on the pot, too :)

Nate Smith

Fenghuangling

by Nate Smith » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:23 am

You might check out Fenghuangling scenic area (???????, Phoenix Mountain) in NW Haidian district if it clears up. Pretty cool rock formations and a good workout for so close to the city.

no avatar
pearson

Re: Fenghuangling

by pearson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Nate Smith wrote:You might check out Fenghuangling scenic area (???????, Phoenix Mountain) in NW Haidian district if it clears up. Pretty cool rock formations and a good workout for so close to the city.

I might check that out tomorrow if I can figure out where it is. I'm ataying in NW Haidan District near the chinese academy of science and Peking University .

BobK

by BobK » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:39 am

Skies cleared up. Group going out to Baihe if you are up for single pitch sport and trad lines. I might be up for going out if you get in touch this morning. BK

no avatar
pearson

by pearson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 am

BobK wrote:Skies cleared up. Group going out to Baihe if you are up for single pitch sport and trad lines. I might be up for going out if you get in touch this morning. BK

Damn, bob. Didn't see this until too late. I'm in Lijiang. My wife convinced me I shouldn't spend $600 on a guide for Haba but I do plan to hang out with your friend/colleague? Austin while here. Maybe I'll have time for a beer in Shanghai if you're there when I am. September 1 would probably be the best day for me, but if that doesn't work for you let me know. My wife arrives on the 2nd so I'll have to discuss with her any other meeting times. She wants to get a bunch of site-seeing in.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 pm

I like the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven.

Though I don't mind wandering around those old neighborhoods. Always something a little weird. Then there's a guy with a Kite Flying machine near the Temple I like to watch. Puts zillions of kites really high in the air.

BobK

by BobK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

I'm stuck in Beijing till Sept 6th, then onto Shenzhen. Enjoy your trip and give my regards to Austin. BK

Return to Asia