hike east to west sierras(whitney trail) need info

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
leroux

hike east to west sierras(whitney trail) need info

by leroux » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 pm

anyone out there with any beta on hiking up and over the Whitney hill, and down the back side to the western Sierras? just a thought of a great trip.

thanks in advance

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 pm

where is your exit on the west side?

MiguelVieira

by MiguelVieira » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 pm

The High Sierra Trail is the standard way to do this. Note that going east to west, you'll be climbing to over 14,000 ft in a day or two, then spend about a week descending. West to east might be more pleasant.

leroux

by leroux » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Not sure of an exit. Just looking at logistics and distances. Done Whitney many many times, mostly one dayers and have dome sill and middle palisades.

okworldwide

by okworldwide » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 pm

we hiked this from west to east 15 years ago, begining at the wolverton trailhead in sequoia. the high sierra trail. well traveled, well marked. tho if you go early season snow will make route finding more complicated.
we did it in 5 days during august. i remember the first day being pretty tough but the rest was relaxing. such a diverse and beautiful range. hope you get a chance to do it! thanks for reminding me of an amazing trip.
not sure but it might be easier to get a permit going west to east, considering the popularity of the whitney trail. unless you go mountaineer's route.
pretty simple hike, just gotta make a plan to get home! my dad, was kind enough to give us a lift to sequoia! then we hitch hiked back to so cal from lone pine.
have fun!

albanberg

by albanberg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 am

Sounds great. I did West to East two years ago. I would love to do some off trail stuff up there sometime. The JMT does feel a bit like a highway out there.

leroux

Re: hike east to west sierras(whitney trail) need info

by leroux » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 am

I have done Whitney many times in a day (1 at night to see a metier shower, a must if you haven't), always in June and july. How much snow do you think (based on the last few years) in the smaller passes mid June or July? I know its a guessing game. Just dont want to get hit with a heat wave. rather be cool/ cold than hot

Princess Buttercup

Re: hike east to west sierras(whitney trail) need info

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:04 am

You might consider dropping into the Kern Canyon and heading immediately back up and over Colby Pass, exiting (eventually) at Roads End via Roaring River and Avalanche Pass. Something a little different, the climb up Colby is deliciously brutal, and the Whaleback is simply amazing when viewed above Big Wet Meadow.

But the HST east to west is simply spectacular, as well. Wandering up the Big Arroyo and over Kaweah Gap, then having Valhalla fall away at your feet as you hug the cliff through the tunnel to Hamilton Lake... ahhh...

Must... get... back...

Return to California