OMG...I don't have a puffy!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Re: OMG...I don't have a puffy!

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 pm

dskoon wrote:Thanks, EB. Interesting read.
Yeah, I thought the hood on that should fit over a helmet, despite what Nancy says. .
There website says that it fits "snugly over a helmet," which might be better than the voluminous hood on my OR.
Also, looks like the newer Micro Puffs are using Primaloft One, rather than polarguard for insulation, which I think would make it warmer than older versions, and/or, more compressible.
As far as the durability goes, well, we'll just have to roll the dice on that one. I don't plan on rubbing it up against too many granite chimneys in the near future; more likely a snow-climbing/skiing, and hiking jacket.
EB, have you been happy with the warmth of the jacket? Again, I don't really plan on using it to hang out on belays with; I understand its limitations.
Thanks again.

My Micropuff fits perfectly over my helmet (Petzl Elios) with a little room to spare but the snugging cords tighen it down perfectly. I have actually climbed chimneys on rough granite in my Microfuff with no snags or rips whatever. Mine is made is Primaloft and is very warm for its weight, I have been extremely pleased with its warmth. In my photo we are on top of Chair Peak in Feburary, a peak I have climbed 14 times in winter. It was the coldest I had seen on that peak, so cold my feet were numb for a month afterwards and I was wearing insulated single leather ice climbing boots. It was quite windy but with my Micropuff I stayed just warm enough. I was wearing a Patagonia mid weight Capeline zip tee, Marmot Diclime windshirt, Marmot Precip jacket, and the Micropuff.

Fair warning: I run very hot. In fact, a tradional Chinese doctor made a clinical diagnosis that I have pathalogically 'hot blood'. (I rather like this diagnosis as the one from the allopathic immunologist was a rare, incurable, untreatable primary immunodeficiency.) In Chinese medicine hot blood is very treatable. But I digress... Suffice it to say I don't get cold often.

Kai

by Kai » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:30 pm

mattski wrote:
Kai wrote:I never go into the backcountry without my puffy.

whys that?

Because if something unexpected happens, a puffy keeps you warm, which can help you survive a cold night or a storm, etc.

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:15 am

Kai wrote:
mattski wrote:
Kai wrote:I never go into the backcountry without my puffy.

whys that?

Because if something unexpected happens, a puffy keeps you warm, which can help you survive a cold night or a storm, etc.

I think Mattski likes playing the scarcastic trolling game, ie, look at the "Gear list" thread. . . :roll: He is one hardcore dude!

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 am

ExcitibleBoy wrote:
dskoon wrote:Thanks, EB. Interesting read.
Yeah, I thought the hood on that should fit over a helmet, despite what Nancy says. .
There website says that it fits "snugly over a helmet," which might be better than the voluminous hood on my OR.
Also, looks like the newer Micro Puffs are using Primaloft One, rather than polarguard for insulation, which I think would make it warmer than older versions, and/or, more compressible.
As far as the durability goes, well, we'll just have to roll the dice on that one. I don't plan on rubbing it up against too many granite chimneys in the near future; more likely a snow-climbing/skiing, and hiking jacket.
EB, have you been happy with the warmth of the jacket? Again, I don't really plan on using it to hang out on belays with; I understand its limitations.
Thanks again.

My Micropuff fits perfectly over my helmet (Petzl Elios) with a little room to spare but the snugging cords tighen it down perfectly. I have actually climbed chimneys on rough granite in my Microfuff with no snags or rips whatever. Mine is made is Primaloft and is very warm for its weight, I have been extremely pleased with its warmth. In my photo we are on top of Chair Peak in Feburary, a peak I have climbed 14 times in winter. It was the coldest I had seen on that peak, so cold my feet were numb for a month afterwards and I was wearing insulated single leather ice climbing boots. It was quite windy but with my Micropuff I stayed just warm enough. I was wearing a Patagonia mid weight Capeline zip tee, Marmot Diclime windshirt, Marmot Precip jacket, and the Micropuff.

Fair warning: I run very hot. In fact, a tradional Chinese doctor made a clinical diagnosis that I have pathalogically 'hot blood'. (I rather like this diagnosis as the one from the allopathic immunologist was a rare, incurable, untreatable primary immunodeficiency.) In Chinese medicine hot blood is very treatable. But I digress... Suffice it to say I don't get cold often.

Thanks again, EB.
Sounds like yours keeps you fairly warm, though in the conditions you described, you were wearing a few layers! Sounds from your experience that its fairly durable as well.
Probably comparable to the MH Compressor? which I own, though mine doesn't have a hood. . .
Lucky you have "hot blood," (I think, anyway), as I tend to run cold. Not sure why; perhaps I have Raynauds' syndrome(I"ve been meaning to post that topic on another thread, Mnt. Medicine). In recent years, I tend to get chilled easier, which leads to me becoming cold, even if I don't really feel cold. Numb toes and fingers. Happens quickly.
Anyway, wish my MH Compressor had the hood, as it would probably fill the bill, but, will prolly go for the Micropuff. . .
Edit: looks like the hooded Compressor is a little lighter than the Micropuff, and perhaps not as warm. . .

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 pm

I just returned this morning from ten days in Alaska and was surprised how much I used my hooded down sweater (patagonia) and how little I used my down jacket. The hooded puffy really did the trick in some fairly cold temps up there. We were primarily fly fishing and although we obviously had waders on, I was standing waist deep in cold water all day. The hooded puffy performed very well with just a long underwear top underneath it.

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 am

Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket...hands down, try to argue with me.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:37 am

zachary_dc wrote:Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket...hands down, try to argue with me.

I won't argue with you; it looks like a great coat. Bit pricey for what I have in mind, though. Maybe when my ship comes in. .

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am

A few years ago I got a Patagonia DAS parka cheap at the Santa Cruz outlet. It's cut to fit over a helmet and layers. It's warm enough to use in cold weather, but since it's synthetic fill it works well as a belay jacket. E.g., if your outer layers are wet from ice climbing or sleet or whatever you can pull it on over them at a rest stop or belay station, and not worry about soaking the fill from the inside.

bird

by bird » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:28 pm

I have 5 Puffys...curse you Steep and Cheap!
Synthetics - OR Chaos, TNF Redpoint Optimus
Down - First Ascent Sweater, MH Subzero Hooded, old Lowe down Sweater (which is just like a sub zero non hooded).

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:15 pm

I guess I should have said mirco puff or down sweater. That's what I don't have. I have a heavy down coat (sub zero) I just don't have one of the new fangled ultra light down coats. It's too late any ways this months as I already blew my gear budget with the REI 20% coupon. Got some new trangos. I guess puffy will have to wait a month or two.

Previous

Return to Gear