Is it just me?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mrchad9

Re: Is it just me?

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 am

We get it. How many times are you going to say the same thing over and over?

You used to try to stir people up, get under their skin. Now you are just plain boring.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:59 am

Gary Schenk wrote:
The Chief wrote:You might think of hanging up the climbing shoes, completely walk away from it for a while, get yourself a nice fly rod and reel, start tying your own flies and go find some "secret spots" where them trout will take very good care of you. Leave all the people and the worries that comes with all of em (as you described above) behind and get totally immersed with the act of the fly rod and the trout.

If you think you're having fun now, wait until you start fishing where they don't stock. It's more work to get to those spots, but worth the effort. You'll never fish for stockers again. It's like gym climbing versus trad.

I know Gary!

Have my secret "Golden" and "Hybrid Paiute Cut" Spots not more than an hour and half hike and/or drive from my house.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 am

NancyHands wrote:Chief, Hot creek?

Nope.... about three miles west of Hot Creek, Mammoth Creek actually. No one hikes the north section of MC, the spot is always void of humans and there are some real bigass Bow and Brown Hogs in there.

Gary, I also have two real special locations just a half hour from the house where the Brookies (kinda Wild as they are not stocked nor have they been in these particular locations, since the late 40's) are big and real tough to catch. Gotta work em and are they ever beautiful.

Just got back from Hares Ears on the Upper O below the bridge. Had the place completely to myself and caught over 40 Bows, Brownies and L-Cuts in just over 4 hours. What a blast!
(That is my truck in the distance...)

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Guyzo

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:11 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
Lolli wrote:But I still refuse to see a community I belong to, as a place where I need to grow a thicker skin

I refuse to be nice to people with Anti American rants on their profile. That's my right, as far as I don't cross the line. So enjoy ; )

OMG. I just saw her profile. That is a lot of hate!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:00 am

Rick I can not hang up the climbing shoes.

Even if I cant climb 5.9..... :wink:

Fritz did it till the end.... went out in style. :wink:

Rick I grew up fishing the waters where you now live with my grandfather, Walter Herbst, would snatch me, his first grandson and my cousin Gordon out of school to go to opening day at Crowley for two weeks.

Short and I have had a few weekends of fun up your way. Cottonwood was a fun creek. The golden trout are stunning.

Short is a 5.13 fishing dude. Ever been to crooked creek? Just down from your house. The fish are really spooked, a false cast sends em running.

Anyway, Jan gets up to about 20 feet from the bank and drops a hopper into this three foot wide stream.......BAM this 14 inch Brown is on.

Jan got about 30 fish, I got 3 but it was fun because each one was hunted down and it has been hard for me to learn to do that.

We went to Bishop creek, up around Cardinal Mine, and got dinner. Jan saved the day with four really nice fish.

We had a nice meal at Horton creek, I love to eat trout.

But I will never quit climbing.

I was going to say something about Bob Shiller , but I wont.....

talking about fishing has a calming effect on me....

the same with climbing, pulling down really hard for no good reason sort of "restarts" the drive.

The ORG is nice right now, I will call ya.

GK

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:43 am

Guyzo wrote:Jan got about 30 fish

Catch and release? How do you know it wasn't the same 3 or 4 hungry and increasingly retarded fish over and over? :lol:

Rob

by Rob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 pm

All this talk about fishing...sheesh, now they have Rapala bass lure ads on the bottom of the page. :lol:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Ever been to crooked creek? Just down from your house. The fish are really spooked, a false cast sends em running.

Piece of cake in that hole, just gotta know what they are after and give it to em. Caught several hogs just below the gauging station a couple of weeks ago as above the station is Off Limits...

Guy, since I moved up here perm 8 years ago, I befriended two local guides (I work with them in the winter up on the Hill) that both grew up here and I know two other quite well. They have all four showed me the wild secret spots as well as what and how to get the hard ones when nothing is hitting nor is there a hatch going off as they are all deep. It entails knowing how to nymph with a 22 Special Ti Beaded Blend Birds Nest or Dark Green Midge. BTW, I am an A-5+ no indicator Nympher. A lost precise art, for sure. I have learned to catch tons when all are walking away shaking their heads in disgust or even the best Dry Flyer has thrown in the towel. Especially when the prevailing wind is howlling from the west at 20+, like yesterday.

The Big Hogs, 24" and bigger, are deep and their diet does not consist of small emerging surface Caddis, Baetis or Midges. Nope. They get big and fat staying down deep eating all the bigger stuff that comes down the current. You will never hook a 20" plus Wild Brown, Brookie, L or P- Cut or Golden on the surface. Maybe on a fluke, but by nature they stay down in the current and under the banks etc. Once I learned that from one of the best back in Maine, some 20 years ago, it was a whole new world.
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh, Hot Creek aint the testing bid of a true Fly Fishermen either. 99% of them fish are hatchery raised. If a 5 yr kid can go there for his first Fly time and brutally cast a 14 Royal Wulf and immediately hook a 26" Brown and then turn right around and hook a 24" Bow, you know it's easy hunting there. That is why you will never see me there.

Now, this local small flow is the true test of ones abilities....

talking about fishing has a calming effect on me....

Exactly.... regardless if ya hook 30 or none. Dry or Nymph. Don't matter.

It is all about the process and just being out on the creek, alone, at peace with the environment.

Previous

Return to General