Touching the Void, movie

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
NW

Touching the Void, movie

by NW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I noticed in another thread that the book Touching The Void was made into a movie. I never knew that. That was the first mountaineering book I ever read and it helped get me hooked so it holds a special place in among all the other books of the sort I liked. I decided I would prefer to rent it first to see if it was a horrible movie compared to the book or not. I didn't have high hopes of finding it and I wasn't disappointed there. I couldn't even find it on the shelves for sale. I can order it in from one place but that brings me to my point. Is it worth buying? I don't want to buy it and it end up being really poorly done and me having to see it sitting on my shelf knowing I liked the book but the movie was hopelessly inadequate. Haha, does that make sense to anyone else? Anyway obviously I would like some feed back on the movie if anyone could give me some. Is this movie worth watching or should I take my 13.95 and spend it on something else?

dmiki

Re: Touching the Void, movie

by dmiki » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

NW wrote:Is it worth buying?

I would recommend buying it. 8/10 on imdb. Simpson said it is a true portrayal of their story. I would watch it maybe once a year if I had the DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touching_the_Void_(film)

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

i think that was the best movie i have ever seen about mountaineering.
Really, fantastic!
Yes, worth that price times 10.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Echo all the positive comments above.

Touching the Void is excellent. As you already know from the book, it's a true story. The movie is essentially a documentary. When shopping, just don't get confused and buy "Vertical Limit" instead. You'll be sorry if you do. :lol:

NW

by NW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Haha yea we actually own Vertical Limit, got it for like 99 cents at a used store one day. I had never seen it, and I was reading a book by Ed Veisturs at the time. Now it sits dusty on the shelf...any wonder? Thanks for all the feedback. I always hate it when I read a good book then see the movie and it's completely ruined the story. Sounds like I will be going to order this one!

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm

It's a good movie in and of itself but I don't think it adds much to the book. As I recall the descriptions of how the guys feel at different stages carries through much more in the written account than in the film. The film on the other hand has the benefit of some scenery but sometimes the imagination can do a better job than a reenactment.

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Definately worth $20. I've got a copy and probably watch it 2X/year. Although it does have some dramatic elements infused into it (its a movie, so you can't escape the producer's influence), its basically a very well done documentry with Simpson, Yates, and the third guy narrating the story as actors portray it on the screen. Also some good trailer material, especially where they describe Simpson's stay in the Peruvian hospital (makes you think twice about how the traveler's medical insurance system works).

simonov

by simonov » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:15 pm

I have not read the book, but the movie really is quite amazing. Most of the time I found myself wondering how they got those shots.

It's also quite remarkably suspenseful. It's the reverse of most suspense stories, where you are wondering how it's going to turn out, because in this case you know the participants survived since they are narrating the story. So the question becomes, after every new surprising turn of events, "How the hell are they going to get out of this?" But I suppose the book is the same in that regard.

One of the best obscure films I have ever seen.
Nunc est bibendum.

NW

by NW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I found myself asking the same question in the book. "How is he going to make it back?". I guess it goes to show what a really remarkable story it is. As far as the whether he should or shouldn't have cut the rope debate among some I'm of the opinion that he did the right thing. It seems like he did all he could at the time and though it was unfortunate he didn't seem to have a choice. Am I opening up a can of worms?

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I believe there are two vesions of the movie. Well, not two versions but one is extended were they actually go back to Siula Grande. I can't remember if they both went back or just one of them.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Tonka wrote:I believe there are two vesions of the movie. Well, not two versions but one is extended were they actually go back to Siula Grande. I can't remember if they both went back or just one of them.

The DVD has a few extras that include that.

For what it's worth, I read the book, met the author, saw the movie, bought the DVD, and did the Huayhuash trek. The DVD is definitely worth it.

etai101

by etai101 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm

you can save youre cash and watch the full movie on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjD6Y_YM ... 7&index=17

in 11 parts good quallity.

also there is a full movie of his 2nd book about the failed eiger expedition.

good times

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I own it and watched it for the 20th time last weekend. :D

As metnioned above it's not as good as the book, but what movie is?

NW

by NW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes I did check the library but they only have the book. We don't have an account with Netflix so I'll just buy it. They said it usually only takes 5 days to get it in where I found I could order it from, so that's not bad. I could have my own copy within a week.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Yeah I enjoyed the film as well. The book is still better but when is it not? Enjoy the watch NW!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Next

Return to General