Mont Blanc - Usual Ascent Times

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
waXology

Mont Blanc - Usual Ascent Times

by waXology » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi guys,

So a few of us are very keen on a normal ascent of Mont Blanc next June/July. Though one of our group says we can do it in a weekend? I thought it took a few more days. So what is the normal ascent time? considering we're coming from London and won't have acclimated at all.

Cheers
Cam

radson

by radson » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 pm

After we had acclimitised, it took us 2 days overall. From memory. We left Chamonix about 9 am and made our way from Tete Rousee hut by Mid afternoon. We departed Tete Rouse at about 1am and hit the summit at 8 am. We descended back and returned to Chamonix by 6pm the following day.

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm

I suggest 5 days. It could be done in less, but not all might make it up.

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:19 pm

my first time :
day 1 - Milan-Chamonix - last cablecar to Midi - dinner at Cosmiques
day 2 - start at midnight - Tacul - Maudit - Mont Blanc - Vallot - Grand Mulets - Plan des Aiguilles - cablecar to Chamonix - Milan

waXology

by waXology » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 pm

gabriele wrote:my first time :
day 1 - Milan-Chamonix - last cablecar to Midi - dinner at Cosmiques
day 2 - start at midnight - Tacul - Maudit - Mont Blanc - Vallot - Grand Mulets - Plan des Aiguilles - cablecar to Chamonix - Milan

really? so summit in two days? any pre aclimitisation? any problems?

I've only been finding 8 day trips available.

Anyone in the UK who's done or thinking of doing Mont Blanc? would be keen to share some knowledge.. prices look steep around 1300 pound. Not sure if this is normal?

vincentvega

by vincentvega » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi,

Im from Manchester, and have climbed Mt Blanc twice now, once by the Gouter route and once doing the full traverse from the Cosmiques.
The most important factor is definatley acclimatisation, without a doubt, the more the better.
I wouldnt consider heading up there without a bare minimum of 5 days spent acclimatising.

Try and spend nights sleeping high, and at least one night above 3500m.

Price wise, it depends on your level of experience, do you feel you need to pay a guide or go on a course?

If that is the path you are heading for, I could possibly put you in touch with a British Guide.

If you wish to email me on allan.robb@hotmail.co.uk for any information feel free.

Allan

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm

You should check out our experience. It can be done in a weekend (I did), but one member of our party came down with HACE and things could have gone very wrong. Be careful with altitude and don't hesitate to turn back if the conditions are not perfect.

fagin

Re: Mont Blanc - Usual Ascent Times

by fagin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 pm

I've been up twice via Gouter route. See the above posts by Radson and Nattfodd. I agree 100%

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 am

If I was planning on climbing that high I would definitely plan in plenty of days for 1) acclimatization and 2) a good weather window. Why travel all that way and lower your chances to summit drastically by a (very) tight schedule? Even if you'd do alright with no acclimatization at all (which I highly doubt) you'd have a much better time when well acclimatized.

//edit: check out this recently added Mt Banc TR: http://www.summitpost.org/mont-blanc-2010/679728

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:38 pm

waXology wrote:Hi guys,

So a few of us are very keen on a normal ascent of Mont Blanc next June/July. Though one of our group says we can do it in a weekend? I thought it took a few more days. So what is the normal ascent time? considering we're coming from London and won't have acclimated at all.

Cheers
Cam

I'd ascend slowly, Nid d'Aigle to Refuge de Tete Rouse, Tete Rouse to Refuge de Gôuter, Gôuter-Summit-Gôuter and Gôuter-Nid d'Aigle. Are you going to sleep in the huts or pitching your tents? If you choose the last option my calendar would be the best if you have a good window of weather. Then I'd go there in the first half of August
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

etai101

by etai101 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm

acclimatization is crucial but if you want a shore fire trip and want to guarantee good acclimatization to mont blanc i recommend
day1 chamonix- aig petit verte3500m
day2 valle balnche -mt blanc du tacul4200m
day3 sumitt mont blanc via the traverse4800m
and hydrate the entire time with cranberry juice or nestea peach if you can find it.
cheers

Return to Europe