Suggestions for peaks near Mendoza?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
splattski

Suggestions for peaks near Mendoza?

by splattski » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm looking for suggestions for two or three peaks for my daughter and I to try in Argentina.

Background and preferences:
Late January into mid-February for dates
She has some moderate experience with non-technical snow climbing to 40° or so (Mt. Hood, Pico de Orizaba, some lesser peaks).
I would prefer not to carry rope or glacier gear. Axe and crampons are fine. We have suitable cold weather gear (I've been on Denali).
We have about a week in Argentina, so I'm looking for peaks in the 10-18000 ft range (3000-5500 m).
Ideally, we would hike up a valley and climb 2 or 3 peaks of gradually increasing elevation
We're interested in more scenic area with solitude
She speaks some Spanish

I've been looking at the area around Mendoza and the Vallecitos area, but am open to suggestions of other areas. If you prefer, or want to send me more detail, you can send me a PM.

Thanks (gracias) in advance.

Damien Gildea

Re: Suggestions for peaks near Mendoza?

by Damien Gildea » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:11 am

I was at Vallecitos in February. It's good because it's so close to Mendoza - less than two hours and US$60 in a taxi. But the camps themselves are up around 3000-4000m, so you may not get much climbed in a week if you go there unacclimatised. The hills beside the valley on the way up - Francke etc - are OK but not that interesting. Vallecitos itself may be OK, via the normal route, from a camp up at Hollada (Hoyada). Trying to go from Alto might be a bit much unacclimatised. The info here on SP for Cordon del Plata is quite good. There will be other people there in late-January, mid-Feb.

I have not been to the Mercedario area, but it looks very nice, good photos here on SP but if you only have a week the travel time will cut down your hill time. I have climbed Volcan Maipo and it is a nice trip, very scenic area, and easy access from Mendoza. There are some OK looking hills nearby too. We did it in around four days, with no prior acclimatisation, in January 2007, but normally I would allow more time to go to 5200m than that. Crampons were needed for crossing the crater and the summit ridge, though you could have survived without them. See video of it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkS2BmBG65Q

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
splattski

SKI

by SKI » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Drive down the hill and do Cerro Plomo!

no avatar
Darek

by Darek » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I think Cordon del Plata is a good choice for a week. You can have one peak with increasing altitude each day. Depending on your acclimatization pace, it is possible you will be able to climb Cerro Plata (almost 6000m) - we did it on 7th day. The whole range is described on SP and here you can find some photos:
http://dabo.110mb.com/gallery/index.php ... 0812_Plata
Have a nice trip!
Darek

The following user would like to thank Darek for this post
splattski

Return to South America