Texhoma Newbie

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
hippyman

Texhoma Newbie

by hippyman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 am

Hey, I just joined, and I'm kinda new to the whole camping/climbing scene. I live in the Texhoma area, and I was wondering if anyone around there would be willing to sort of train me. I have a few issues, but nothing that I'm not willing to work around. Please let me know.

hippyman

Re: Texhoma Newbie

by hippyman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey, thanx for the reply, I'll try and give u some idea of where I'm hoping to end up. I would eventually like to tackle the big peaks, however, I want to be able to go out as if in a survival situation(i.e. no tent or sleeping bag.) I know you can make a warm sleeping bag from just leaves and a garbage bag, and I've been reading up on making survival shelters. I eventually want to be the kind of person who can survive anywhere, with just whats on their back, if thats possible. I just need someone to help me get started.

surgent

by surgent » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:59 pm

hippyman wrote:Hey, thanx for the reply, I'll try and give u some idea of where I'm hoping to end up. I would eventually like to tackle the big peaks, however, I want to be able to go out as if in a survival situation(i.e. no tent or sleeping bag.) I know you can make a warm sleeping bag from just leaves and a garbage bag, and I've been reading up on making survival shelters. I eventually want to be the kind of person who can survive anywhere, with just whats on their back, if thats possible. I just need someone to help me get started.

Well... train first, go into the wilderness first with the right gear so you know what the reality can be like. Build a library of experiences.

Then, if you still are hankering for some real survival knowledge, check out this guy:

http://www.codylundin.com/

(edit: fixing the url)

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

You ought to go and spend some time up in the Wichitas. You are only an hours drive from either the Refuge or Quartz Mountain. The Charon's Garden Wilderness ought to give you a taste of what you are looking for.

By the way, how is the skiing in Vernon?
Last edited by Bubba Suess on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hippyman

by hippyman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:You ought to go and spend some time up in the Wichitas. You are only an hours drive from either the Refuge or Quartz Rock. The Charon's Garden Wilderness ought to give you a taste of what you are looking for.

By the way, how is the skiing in Vernon?

I did spend go "day trippin" out to Medicine Mound, when I was a kid, on the west side of Vernon, in Hardeman county. Hiking back to the nearest sign of civilization, after a breakdown, is about the extent of my outdoor experience, as of yet. :(

jeffh25

by jeffh25 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 am

+ 1 for the Wichitas. You would never know you were in Oklahoma if you got picked up and dropped off there.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 am

hippyman wrote:I did spend go "day trippin" out to Medicine Mound, when I was a kid, on the west side of Vernon, in Hardeman county.

Did you climb to the summit of the Mound? I always wondered about them when I would head back to home in California/grad school in Dallas on 287. They are on private land aren't they?

hippyman

by hippyman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:
hippyman wrote:I did spend go "day trippin" out to Medicine Mound, when I was a kid, on the west side of Vernon, in Hardeman county.

Did you climb to the summit of the Mound? I always wondered about them when I would head back to home in California/grad school in Dallas on 287. They are on private land aren't they?

Sorry, but yes, they are on private land, I knew the guy, so I could ask him first.

wallspeck

by wallspeck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 am

Definitely go to the Wichitas and out to Quartz Mt. I learned to rock climb there in the 1970s. Very cool vibe back then.
As far as camping goes.... any ole campground will do the trick. Just get out a lot and have fun.

And one little ridiculous piece of advice. I'm serious. Wait until some night in January when it's like Siberia... and try to survive the night camping in your backyard. If it's snowing, that's even better. It's like "top-roping" in the survival world (that's a reference to a no risk climbing technique). If it gets to where you think you're going to die... go back inside the house and have a good laugh.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)