What would you do?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
skigirl918

What would you do?

by skigirl918 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,
Although this is my first post, I've been using this site for a number of years now, and based on the vast amount of information and good advice I've read, I figured this would be a good place to post my question. So, I am curious as to what advice people have concerning locations for a 4-6 week trip in late September to early November of this year. After graduation this spring I am working for the forest service in Colorado, and then prior to (hopefully) working for ski patrol in the winter I want to spend 4-6 weeks traveling somewhere in the fall. I am willing to spend up to $4,000 on expenses, and I will most likely be going on this trip solo. I am an avid hiker and skier with some mountaineering experience (Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, 30 day NOLS mountaineering course in AK, and 30 of Colorado's 14ers), so right now my top two choices are the Himalayas or the Patagonia region for trekking and/or mountain climbing. While I would ideally love to climb some difficult peaks, I realize this is not the most rational choice since I'll probably be solo and I have limited experience with technical climbing. I would also prefer not going with any guiding service, since I feel that may take away the cultural experience and I won't learn as much going with a large group from the U.S. I also know some Spanish (but am definitely not fluent). So any advice, ideas, links, or general thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Andes6000

Re: What would you do?

by Andes6000 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Based on the budget, climbing experience, and basic Spanish 2 months hiking trekking through Peru/Bolivia would be doable. I wouldn't go it alone, possibly some sections of the Inca trail but generally not a good idea. Himalaya would probably be too expensive, possibly not as safe, but don't take my word for it never been there.

SKI

by SKI » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 am

Props for not seeking a guided misadventure!

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 am

Your time-frame is a bit late for the Peruvian and Bolivian Andes and too early for Patagonia.

It's good for Nepal though. $4K should be fine to fly to KTM and go trekking and scramble up some peaks up to 18,000ft or so. If you really are a 22 year old girl travelling alone, it might be best to go somewhere with plenty of other foreigners, so the Khumbu/Everest area in October is good for that - good paths, plenty of lodges to stay at etc. If you fly via Bangkok you can go sportclimbing off the beach on the way home.

phydeux

by phydeux » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Just throwing this in the mix for consideration:

In case you decide not to go overseas, your late September - early November timeframe corresponds to some of the best climbing/hiking weather in the southwest. The Sierra Nevada Mtns should be clear of the summer crowds, streams will be runnng (low, but running), and the weather is usually fantastic. Death Valley usualy cools down nicely by mid-October, Joshua Tree NP too. Utah, Nevada, Arizona, are great in the fall, too.

dmiki

by dmiki » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 pm

I would recommend Nepal and agree with Damien. You could also go for the Annapurna Circuit (you might do Pisang Peak solo) or the Langtang region if you want to go alone. If you are willing to team up with others, the Hinku/Hongu valleys might also be an option, with Mera and Island Peak (the latter might also be OK solo, but you need porters for the Hongu).

India/Ladakh is another possibility

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Another option for a lone young woman could be hut to hut long distance trekking in the Alps, Pyrenees, Picos de Europa, spine of Corsica, Gran Sasso de Italia ... If pushing into Oct & November you'd need to plan a bit to stay below heavy snow accumulation and stay where the huts are still open, but this could be done. You'd be very safe from the kind of misadventures a 22-year-old woman doesn't want, and you'd meet people in the huts for side trips onto the peaks, which are really quite awesome in all of these areas. Or else via ferratas make solos onto the peaks less worrisome for someone with limited solo experience. Spanish would serve you well in some areas, including, surprisingly, Italy--learn a few tricks and they will think you are just speaking bad Italian, and will LOVE you for it.

DersuUzala

by DersuUzala » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 pm

If you happen to stay in the states, perhaps a circumnavigation of the Wonderland trail and topping it off with a climb of Rainier. But like most others have replied and you get the chance, heading far away from home for an epic trip of a lifetime trumps staying in the states! 4-6 weeks is a HUGE amount of time and would really pay off when it comes to altitude acclimation if you plan on getting really high.
You've gotta be crazy to be sane

no avatar
skigirl918

by skigirl918 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! I feel somewhat guilty of selfishly posting my questions on here without contributing any advice on the other topics...but hopefully I'll start doing that (even though it seems like most people on this forum are much more experienced than me! Oh well.) I've decided to do a long trip to the Himalayas based on the time of year...still not sure if I'll be able to convince anyone to come with me, but solo or not, that's the plan. Before I start doing massive amounts of research, where would people suggest beginning this trip from if I wanted to head straight for the mountains to go trekking or climb some relatively easy peaks? I realize it's necessary to fly into a major city (I'm guessing my two options are Kathmandu and New Delhi), but ideally I'd like to spend as little time in a city and traveling as possible. Thanks again in advance for any imput!

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Most flights take you into Kathmandu. It's a good base, too. Public transport from there to most of the places you'd start a hike (say the Annapurna circuit for example) will be a bit of a ride but it's doable especially if you want a look at how folks in the country get around. Or you can do it for pricier and more expensive. Kathmandu also has some great stuff to see and there will be other hikers and climbers staying there - lots in the Thamel section if I recall correctly.

dmiki

by dmiki » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

skigirl918 wrote:where would people suggest beginning this trip from if I wanted to head straight for the mountains to go trekking or climb some relatively easy peaks?

If Nepal is your target, Kathmandu is your best option. The air can be quite polluted though, so spend as few days there at the start of your trip as possible (or bring some kind of mask), otherwise you will be coughing for several days afterwards.

If you have a few days to spare, flying to New Delhi, and going to Pokhara overland (train+bus) (while seeing some things along the way) could be another option. An extra Indian visa might be necessary though.

(New Delhi is also your port of entry if Ladakh is your goal.)

If you arrange your hotel in Thamel in advance over the internet, chances are that they will pick you up at the airport, saving you from the horde of taxis waiting at arrivals.

simonov

by simonov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm

I want to know more about the other 917 skigirls registered on this site.
Nunc est bibendum.

bird

by bird » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

simonov wrote:I want to know more about the other 917 skigirls registered on this site.

Probably much more appealing than the 32 other stinky cheese men. http://www.summitpost.org/users/stinkycheezman33/33393
:D

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Maybe you can get a short, cheap flight from Khatmandu to Pohkarra. While Pok is smaller and has better air it is less interesting (in my opinion) but it is also on the Annapurna cuircit, and you could probably find people to hike with there. In my opinion Asia is MUCH SAFER for a single woman than latin america (with the exception fo Chile and Argentina, which are in winter in your time frame). Maybe try to find a partner or two here on summitpost?? I've taken lots of the kinds of trips you are thinking of and it is always hard to find people who can get away for this sort of thing, have fun!

drpw

by drpw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm

My plan when I graduate and am in your position is to do Europe. I wanna hit the cultural aspects pretty hard, as an art history major, the museums are a must see for me, then on to do some climbing in the alps and hopefully Elbrus as well.

Return to General