Wanted: Swiss alpine summit in August

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

Wanted: Swiss alpine summit in August

by WouterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 am

For a small project I'm working on, I'm looking for a mountain in the Swiss Alps to climb in August. One of the main factors is that it needs to attract attention to what I'm doing. On the other hand, while I don't mind being there with some other people, I would prefer not to have to cue. I've thought about some classics, but think that most would be too crowded during August. I've taken a look at Dufourspitze, which is enticing as it's the highest point of my new home (Switzerland), but I'm not sure if it ranks as one of the "classics" and thus receives loads of visitors in August. If there's anyone that could help me on this, I'd appreciate it.

Any suggestions on preferably high(er) Swiss alternatives that follow the above conditions would be highly appreciated as well.

dskoon

Re: Wanted: Swiss alpine summit in August

by dskoon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:57 pm

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm

dskoon wrote:How bout this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%AAte_Blanche

Looks really nice and I'm very interested to do it somewhere in the coming year. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for right now though. Kind of lacks the "wow" factor :)

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Dent de geant?

I'm guessing this one is a bit too technical/vertical. While I could probably do it, it's not my kind of fun.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Matterhorn? People have heard of that. They'll say, "Wow, look at that mountain."

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Dom

mvs

by mvs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Obergabelhorn has routes of snow/ice as well as rock. I want to climb that one quite a bit. It attracts my attention, anyway! :D

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Dent de geant?
wow !!! Dent du Geant (Dente del Gigante) has changed country !!! :D

barrys

by barrys » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Unlikely to have a line of people waiting to get to the summit, impressive, big and not very technical (by normal routes, AD or less) and yet well known and esteemed are -
Finsteraarhorn - highest in the Bernese.
Grand Combin - Isolated position, one of the most impressive looking mountains seen from anywhere in Switzerland
Dent Blanche - Just looks scary
Weisshorn - Big, high, sterotypical image of what a mountain should look like. Swiss folk I have spoken to regard this as the mountaineers mountain, not the Matterhorn.
Aletschhorn - Impressive, famed for it's name sake glacier, remote and you'll feel like you're in one of the greater ranges, not the middle of Europe.
Bietschhorn - Not has high as the above, and more difficult, but goddam it looks cool.

I'd also say to look at the Macugnaga face of Monte Rosa too, seen as the mountain is already on your list, but while the summit qualifies, the route is in Italy. Maybe that wouldn't be the only reason it wouldn't meet your criteria though. :D

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:15 am

Why not Jungfrau :?:

Strahlhorn would be another good one but Monte Rosa is not a bad choice Wouter. It also depends on the grade and the amount of meters that you want to attempt

Return to Europe