Trinity Alps conditions in April?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
rachtak

Trinity Alps conditions in April?

by rachtak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi really want to go backpacking during my spring break (April 10-19) with a couple buddies from school. One of which, being an eagle scout, is pretty experienced with mountaineering/snow camping, and the other of which are extremely well conditioned Varsity athletes in endurance sports. I fall somewhere in between. We have all gone backpacking before.

I plan on doing a two-night trip (three days), but I don't know where to start. I want it to be scenic (lakes, tall trees, granite faces, etc), but at the same time, I dont want to have to trudge through snow in hiking boots (not planning on snoeshoeing/Xcountry). I welcome a little bit of residual snow, but not a torrential downpour. Can anyone recommend a good trail/sites in the Trinity Alps/Surrounding area that would fit this? We are up for 25-40 miles. What will the snow conditions be like? We are also interested in fishing and any information regarding this as well as wilderness permits, etc are greatly appreciated.

robertjoy

Re: Trinity Alps conditions in April?

by robertjoy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 am

April seems too early for me. My wife and I (and two dogs) packed into Canyon Creek Lakes (5600ft) at the end of JUNE last year. It had been a high snow year, and we were concerned about snow covered trails, same as you. The Trinity Wilderness website publishes trail condition advisories when the trails start too open. When we went we found that snow started above Upper Canyon Creek Lake at about 6000ft, so the hiking was great for us. April though? I am pretty sure the trail would be snow covered well before the lakes maybe as low as 4500ft. You might consider a lower elevation area in Southern Oregon coast range, or Red Rocks near Las Vegas.

no avatar
rachtak

by rachtak » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 am

Maybe I dont know what I'm talking about, but just by looking at Google Topo Map, lakes like Ukonom Lake, Secret Lake, and Onemile Lake are all below 6,000 feet (upper 5,000's). Could this be a potential backpacking trip for us? Please let me know.

This map contains a couple possible points of interest that are ~5,500 feet. Please let me know what you think.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 70b0b71fa6

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 am

I think you are being overly optimistic across the board. While something around 5,000 feet might not seem like much in the Sierra, in the Klamaths, being closer to the coast and further north, the snow clears out at much later date. The earliest I have been able to get back to the Canyon Creek Lakes was mid-May. April is just too unrealistic, not just in terms of snow on the trail but also the access road conditions can be iffy.

You might consider backpacking the coast at Point Reyes or the Lost Coast. Spring is an excellent time of year to make either trip.

no avatar
messner666

by messner666 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm

I hiked it in mid April back in 2001. Went up Canyon creek to the lakes. There was some snow near the lakes, but I found dry camping. I'm not sure if that was a light snow year or not. Not a soul up there then, except the mountain lion that stalked my dog and I all night. Guess it depends on the year. Beautiful area.

Return to California