State park snowshoeing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tanneyman13

State park snowshoeing

by tanneyman13 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 pm

So a couple buddies and I were going to head up to lassen this weekend for a summit attempt, but seeing as its looking like the national parks will be closed we need a new plan. We live in the east bay area and would like to get some recommendations on state parks/routes for some snowshoeing. We can only go for Saturday and Sunday... any thoughts?

QITNL

Re: State park snowshoeing

by QITNL » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:02 am

Your best bet might be something out of one of the SNO-PARKS. They are state-run so won't be affected. Make sure you pick up a pass and stick it in your window.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24867

Lake Alpine is a nice destination, an easy hike from the car, nice camping, possibly with running water. Some of the little peaks around there make nice hikes. I don't think any additional permits are necessary.

Carson Pass is also fun, there's Round Top and a bunch of other peaks around there. Pick up a permit on the way, just past Pioneer, free, though I'm not sure they will be open (just a formality - there's never anyone up there this time of year to bother you).
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recrea ... ke/permit/

And there's lots of stuff around Tahoe. Even if all the land surrounding the SNO-PARKS might be federal, I don't think anyone will really consider it "closed."

rhyang

Re: State park snowshoeing

by rhyang » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 am

Fortunately, the shutdown didn't happen. I was also planning on Lassen, but my backup plan was the Mt. Shasta area. According to the USFS the road to Bunny Flat is plowed by Siskiyou County, not the Fed. Lots of fun stuff to do up there.

Hope you all got up there .. Lassen was beautiful this past weekend -

Taaaake !

Return to California