Dolomites-Alta via 1 : car park ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
randojsb

Dolomites-Alta via 1 : car park ?

by randojsb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi,

I have read a lot of good stuff regarding alta via 1 and dolomites on these pages and I intend to hike Alta via n.1 end of June 2011.

I have a practical question for those of you who know these parts well:

I am from Belgium, I intend to go to the dolomites with my own car. Is there a place near the beginning of the trail (Toblach/Dobbiaco or Prags) where I could safely let my car during the 10 days needed to hike the Alta via and get back by bus? Do you have a place to recommend?

Thanks !

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites-Alta via 1 : car park ?

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am

I'd say you can leave your car safely anywhere in the region. I have never encountered any problems. But: finding a place (parking lot) without charges can be a little challenging. The trailhead at Pragser Wildsee definitely is charged (3€ per day two years ago), the villages of Innerprags and Ausserprags are open for residential parking only. As far as I recall there is a parking area, where the road to Prags leaves the main road (SS48) but that would probably the only place in which I wouldn't leave my car for a long stretch of time (logging trucks often frequent it).

I know you can park at Bad Altprags but that's a little out of the way - you would need to hike across Weißlahnsattel (not sure about the route though) to get to Pragser Wildsee (or use the roads!?!?!). Personally I would try to find a parking lot in Welsberg or Niederdorf, west and east of the road to Prags. You might have to search a little to find a place which is not charged but I'm pretty sure you can leave your car there in a residential area. And I'm sure it would be safe there.

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
mvs

no avatar
randojsb

by randojsb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 pm

wow ! thanks for the detailed answer.

Looniebiker

by Looniebiker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:32 am

randojsb ---Hiya --
How did you get on with the hike?? you recommend guide books and maps or is it simple to follow?
I fancy doing it in June 2017 just the first half leave car in a campsite in Cortina get a bus to the start then have three nights in huts then some how get out to Cortina and drive home....what do you think ?? I don't have long in the area cos were off to Grossglochner 1st...

Rich in Yorkshire

Return to Europe