Snow levels around Flagstaff?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Brian Jenkins

Snow levels around Flagstaff?

by Brian Jenkins » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Wondering if anyone has approximations as to the current snow levels on the peaks around Flagstaff. Going to be down in your 'hood next week and trying to figure out what higher peaks, if any, to bag. Won't have snowshoes or crampons, etc. If anyone's been out and about in that area and has any observations they could post, would appreesh. Thanks!

lcarreau

Re: Snow levels around Flagstaff?

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Humpheys received 266" of snow for the entire season, with the last storm producing 5" about ten days ago.

I can still see snow on the upper 1/2 of the Peaks from nearly 50 miles away !

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 am

Hey, that is a higher snow level than I hoped for, thanks! We've still got snow down at 2500 feet up here so that is great to hear. Looking forward to some sun.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 am

Pretty much all the southern and western aspects are clear. Above treeline, there usually isn't too much snow anyways because the wind blows it all. Fremont and Doyle are pretty clear, but access on Forest Roads would be an issue still. Its all melting off very very fast. You could easily do a summit attempt on the Humphreys Peak Trail and be relatively clear of snow (you would run into alot of snow in the lower northwest facing aspects, but that is manageable). And Larry, that last storm that rolled through Flagstaff dropped almost a foot in town and 31 inches at Snowbowl, but thats all melted off now.

For peaks to climb, I would definitely give Humphreys a shot (if you haven't done that already). Fremont and Doyle would be alright if the road is open. I am hopefully trying Kendrick Mtn Friday. Ill post how that is if I go.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 am

YEAH, leave it to the Forest Service to keep things closed when the weather starts to warm up. How about recreational opportunities ?

Brian, you can always venture further south (to Sedona ) and munch on a Red Saucer Burger with celestial french fries. Yum ...

8)

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 pm

As a matter of fact, we are staying in Sedona, so.....Holy Jalapenos!

Appreciate the info, Alex. I'll check back on the laptop when we get down there how your Kendrick climb goes.

Thanks again, all!

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:24 am

I ended up doing O'Leary Peak. It has a great view of the Inner Basin and the Peaks. East and North aspects still have alot of snow and looks pretty well covered still. However, it looks like thats only the case on the east aspects from around 10,300 and up. Mt. Elden is almost entirely free of snow with a few spots in the drainage in the north and east sides

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:59 am

Obviously, Steven Cross has an excellent page on the San Francisco Volcanic Field.

However, what's LACKING is a picture taken looking down off the summit of O'Leary.

Somebody needs to submit more photos on this unique area of ancient volcanoes.

:wink:

no avatar
FearNot

by FearNot » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:59 am

I have plans to be in AZ in and would like to hike & summit Humphreys on May 14 -- weather permitting. Think the deep snow will be gone? How about microspikes or crampons -- might those be need?

no avatar
FearNot

by FearNot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks Lionel! Looking forward to giving it a try with some friends!

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:03 am

I had a friend that tried Humphreys this past weekend. They went up the Humpheys Peak Trail to the Flying Dutchmen and they said that they were still post holing a whole lot. They didn't make the summit because of the snow. If you went up the West ridge that starts from Snowbowl and stayed on the south side you would be relatively clear of snow. Thats just current conditions, however, if you are going up mid-May, alot more of the snow should be melted along the Humphreys Peak Trail

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks for the info Alex. Since I had my dog with me, and noting your last post, I opted not to tackle Humphreys this time. And according to the Forest Service website, the roads to the Weatherford Trail are still closed (don't bother telling me if that is not true or their site is not updated, I don't want to know at this point). ;- )

Would've tried Fremont and Doyle but maybe next time. Spent the day doing more local Sedona/Oak Creek Village stuff. Lots of stuff to tackle around here.

Now, the real reason for the post -- which restaurant are you talking about with that burger, lcarreau? There is a Red Planet diner in West Sedona (or something like that) and a place called Red's in town too. I don't want to make a mistake with something as special as a hamburger!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 am

Don't want to sound like a commercial, but that would be the Red Planet Diner.

My Uncle Fredd gave it TWO THUMBS UP.

Next

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)