scarpa inverno sizing compared to omegas

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kkline91

scarpa inverno sizing compared to omegas

by kkline91 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:59 am

I fit into a size us 12 uk 11 in the invernos, but scarpa tells me the omegas have less volume to them. Anyone tried them both and can give me an idea if I need to half or full size up from the invernos to the omegas.

kkline91

Re: scarpa inverno sizing compared to omegas

by kkline91 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Nobody has tried on both of these boots and can comment on sizing differences between the two?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 am

I own a pair of Omegas and tried on some Invernos just to see how they felt on my foot. The bottom line is that they are very different boots and the Omegas are designed to be lower volume so that they fit snugger and climb better, more like leather boots, whereas the Invernos feel more like ski boots. IIRC the sizing (from a length perspective) was similar. The Omega liners are thermo-moldable which allows them to fit your foot more closely, whereas the Inverno stock liners are not.

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 am

I wear an 11 in the Inverno. I tried on an Omega and I think it was a 12. It seemed to run small compared to the Inverno.

FWIW the Omega has a huge arch and it was very uncomfortable for me - and I have a pretty high arch as it is. But if it fits, the price and weight make it seem like a nice boot.

no avatar
rsf1961

by rsf1961 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 pm

i've worn them both in the same size but with a diffrent sock combination. i wore the inverno (which I hated because of its lack of rocker and other issues) with a (very) heavy wool mountaineering sock and liner. i wore the omega with a poly/wool mid-weight hiking sock and no liner sock in the old scarpa, not inverno inner-boot. the omega still had a snugger/better fit than the inverno, which was at best imprecise. the inner-boot on the omega is much thinner than a regular liner to get the more precise fit and lower volume boot. similar to the degre vertical that goes down a shell size with a thinner liner to get a better fit.

i guess you buy the boot that fit's best, but I'd try a lot of boots before I'd buy inverno's.

ps - getting my climb high super gaiters to work with the narrow rand on the omega's was a pia. i also thought the shell material was fairly thin and i could see putting a crampon point thru it if you weren't careful. but the omega's are really light and pretty versitile.

kkline91

by kkline91 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to try them on when I go to Colorado in July. Unfortunately trying to find retailers in Illinois is next to impossible. The same pair of us 12 invernos have been bought and returned at my local rei store I think. I tried them on and they fit, but they don't carry omegas so I can't compare and I will have to buy them online probably. Sucks cuz I'd like to go to a retailer and try on everything to get the right fit and have the boot liners molded.

Return to Gear