Page Admins Being Able to Take over Pages?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh Lewis

Page Admins Being Able to Take over Pages?

by Josh Lewis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 am

I only did this as a test, but I found out that when your an admin of a page you can change the privileges to make you the page owner. In my opinion I consider this a security flaw on sp, especially with grabby folks if you know what I mean. 8) Plus you might argue that the page theft could be reported, but some decent members here on sp only come here every now and then (you know, they are busy out on expeditions and such). :wink:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Page Admins Being Able to Take over Pages?

by Bob Sihler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:14 pm

There was a problem with this a few years ago. A guy I know created some pages and made another guy an admin, and later that other guy had a blowup and left the site, deleting the pages.

Two bits of advice:

Don't share page privileges with someone you don't fully trust.

If you adopt a page and I or another elf was too lazy to remove the inactive owner from the permissions list, leaving that person as an admin, do it yourself.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Don't share page privileges with someone you don't fully trust.

It happens that even then you make a mistake.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Lolli wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:Don't share page privileges with someone you don't fully trust.

It happens that even then you make a mistake.

True, and the example I gave was actually a case of that, but some might be too quick to share privs with someone they don't know too well.

It would be nice, though, if it could be fixed so that those with admin privs could not delete pages or change others' privs.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm

It's not a big deal for me considering I would notice if someone fulled a stunt like that. :wink: I was just suggesting this to prevent future conflicts if some bozo does this to someone else. 8)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Well if they add a lot more info to the page I could see how this could be a good thing. I'm mostly referring to the ones who take over the page and never touch it again. :x

Return to Site Feedback