Rock Creek conditions (BCS/Abbot)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vitaliy M.

Rock Creek conditions (BCS/Abbot)

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Anyone been up there lately?

Thinking about going up towards Bear Creek Spire or Abbot area, or both. Snow encountered all the way from TH I guess since snow levels in the area are reported around 10K...the trail should be pretty well beat up all the way to Dade lakes or further? I am thinking of wearing running shoes and taking strap on crampons. Any other comments?

epicclimb

Re: Rock Creek conditions (BCS/Abbot)

by epicclimb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:11 pm

We did a fun ski tour loop late last week in that area. lots of snow still, but this was what we were looking for! ;)

Started the day with a ski of the petite griffon chute, then did abbot's n couloir and had lunch near treasure peak/dade. We skied down the other drainage towards morgan pass/chickenfoot peak and finished the day with an afternoon ski of chickenfoot. Hot and soggy in the late affternoon in the flats, but beers were on ice at the car!!!!!

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Vitaliy, please report back on conditions if you go. thanks

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 pm

fossana wrote:Vitaliy, please report back on conditions if you go. thanks

for sure

jdmorris

by jdmorris » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 am

Vitaliy-

I was about to post pictures to the LLV thread from my trip to Abbot, Dade and Morgan last weekend. Snow was soft by sun-up, so no crampons were ever required (maybe the snow was slightly hard - though not necessarily frozen - from 10PM to 7AM). I kept snowshoes on for the entire hike up Dade (hourglass couloir) and post holed to my waist for a good 20 minutes in a snowfield between rock bands near the summit where I had them off. We boot packed the Abbot NE Couloir leaving a nice, deep staircase. Waterproof boots and gaiters were invaluable because the snow was never hard enough to stand on top of. I never had a problem kicking steps on steep slopes whether early or late in the day. Water was accessible at Treasure Lakes although I'd bet that Dade Lake is still completely buried. I never saw a mosquito above Mosquito Flat but they were very plentiful at Rock Creek Lake. Anything else I can tell ya?

JD

The following user would like to thank jdmorris for this post
Princess Buttercup

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Went up to dayhike Petit Griffon on Sunday. It was quite a great warm (a bit too hot) day. Snow line is right by Ruby Lakes at the moment. Past that we stayed on the ridge to climbers left to avoid the slush (worked very well). Couloirs up there did not need crampons (although we brought them just in case) on that particular day.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Anyone go here last weekend? Curious as to how quickly it may have changed.

Return to California