Mt. Williamson 'Long Twisting Rib' Beta Needed

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

Re: Mt. Williamson 'Long Twisting Rib' Beta Needed

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Deb wrote:
epicclimb wrote:oh no! i was high in the clouds on solar venturi effects and left it behind once. or so i thought. come to find out it was in the cooler! i woudlnt be stressing but i too had nekkid picz of this girl i met on valentines day been dating thru may but when she found out about april she chose to march. damn another broken heart. :cry:

What the DUECE are you talking about?! Go away TROLL! :evil:

Eazy does it....

with that kind of aggression you would think you were the troll :?

nice work on the climb tho :P :P :P

the people want pictures! :!: we demand pictures! sposed 2 b a gr8 route
Last edited by Skateboards2Scrapers on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

granjero

by granjero » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Anxiously awaiting photos/more tales from this storied ridgeline!
Photo!
Photo!

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Since Dave's camera took an unplanned exit during the climb and I became ill, we have very few pics of the climb. At first, I thought I was getting altitude sickness - nausea, lack of energy, blurred mind.... I don't even remember most of the climb/descent just the feeling of "someone please shoot me!" Poor Dave was slowed to a crawl on the descent for me. :(
Now having been pooing water for 2 days, I do believe I contracted some bugs from drinking unfiltered water on the way in. I'll post a few if I can figure out how to do it on this forum. ?
Anyway, considering my condition, I didn't find the route to be so terribly wonderful; very little 5th class and the scenery got to be a drag. What can I say? The summit of West Horn provided a great view, but I wasn't too excited about anything at that point. We did see the huge plume from the fire in Tulare wilderness....of course we smelled it all weekend too.
Down climbing the Horn was interesting and nearly made me cry; Dave trooped it on like a pro. That West Gulley WTF descent is garbage! WHO climbs that thing?!?!
Glad it's over! Loved the stream crossings, especially the one at 12,000'!

Aaron Dyer

by Aaron Dyer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:45 am

Might have had issues with the fire making you ill. If you were smelling it you were breathing that crap.

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Just returned from Willy and Tyndall. Probably camped in the same place you and Dave did @ the lake below Tyndall. I was amazed at the clarity of the water in that lake. (Also the fact that it froze both nights we were there.) Hope you didn't contract something from drinking unfiltered water on the way up. We did the same thing, and so far so good. (Fingers crossed.) Can't agree with you more about Willy's WF Gully. Ugh... that thoroughly sucked balls to climb. (Although we were able to stay high on the sides of the gully for the most part on ascent.) Stream crossings wet? No way. Never more than a bit of a splash on the boot, but then I've got a pretty long stride. Oh, and the crossing at Anvil camp is much easier on the log just a few yards up stream. We lucked out on the smoke issue. Really bad on Monday night, but gone by the time we summited. BTW, do either of you wear contacts?

Deb

by Deb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 pm

bajaandy wrote:Just returned from Willy and Tyndall. Probably camped in the same place you and Dave did @ the lake below Tyndall. I was amazed at the clarity of the water in that lake. (Also the fact that it froze both nights we were there.) Hope you didn't contract something from drinking unfiltered water on the way up. We did the same thing, and so far so good. (Fingers crossed.) Can't agree with you more about Willy's WF Gully. Ugh... that thoroughly sucked balls to climb. (Although we were able to stay high on the sides of the gully for the most part on ascent.) Stream crossings wet? No way. Never more than a bit of a splash on the boot, but then I've got a pretty long stride. Oh, and the crossing at Anvil camp is much easier on the log just a few yards up stream. We lucked out on the smoke issue. Really bad on Monday night, but gone by the time we summited. BTW, do either of you wear contacts?

Wow! No wet crossings on Shepherd's Pass trail?! Where did all the water go? I was up to my knees in a couple of those (counted 8 in all), course I am only 5'4".
No, we don't wear contacts; did ya find some bootie? Congrats on your summit, that thing is a BIG beast!

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Deb wrote:Wow! No wet crossings on Shepherd's Pass trail?! Where did all the water go? I was up to my knees in a couple of those (counted 8 in all), course I am only 5'4".
No, we don't wear contacts; did ya find some bootie? Congrats on your summit, that thing is a BIG beast!

Congrat's right back atchya on making the summit while "infirmed". You're not kidding... that thing IS a beast. And that whole west face just looks so chopped up and foreboding.

When did you go in? I can see peak flows dropping considerably in only a few days. We sacked out at the trailhead on Sunday night the 17th and started early on Monday the 18th. Were you with the group that came out at about 10:00 Sunday night? I remember vaguely hearing someone say something like "Let's just go get drunk".

Are you sure about 8 creek crossings? On the Symmes Creek/Shepherd's pass trail? There are four in the first mile, crossing back and forth across Symmes creek. They required some fancy foot work/stone dancing, but doable without getting in the drink. (Boot's got a bit wet, but nothing to write home about.) Then a side stream that feeds Shepherd's creek, just below Mahogany Flats. Then one more crossing of Shepherd's creek leaving Anvil camp. That's six. Oh wait... there was one more spot up near the Pothole just before the pass itself. Maybe two. OK, so maybe 8 total. But easily crossed without getting wet. Anyway, probably a lot less water between the time you were there and when we got there.

Yeah, we found a bottle of contact lens solution down near lake 2 when we fished it. Big friggin' bottle to be hauling in up there! (But hey, I don't wear contacts, so what do I know?) Emptied that sucker and hauled it out. Figured it might have got blown down from the upper bowl.

We climbed Willy via the West Face Chosspile Route on Wed and then Tyndall via the North Rib on Thur. The North Rib was very enjoyable third class the entire way up. I think we mad the summit in just over an hour and a half. Fun scramble.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:31 am

Baja, we came out at 5:30PM on that Sunday....17th I think...braindead. Oh I've got pics of how deep and fast it was running and there were definitely 8. I enjoyed them regardless; wore Keens for 9 miles in and 8 miles out, crossed snowfields in them, scrambled over boulders in them. Pretty cool and rather granola.
Now that I have forgotten most of the pain, I would like to go for Tyndall...and I'll be sure to whittle my pack weight down to 20lbs instead of 27. We brought harnesses and way too much food...no need for a harness cuz there was no place to rappel from and we sure didn't find the time to eat all that damn food. :(

granjero

by granjero » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 am

Deb wrote:Now that I have forgotten most of the pain, I would like to go for

Isn't alpine climbing grand? As soon as we forget the suffering we are ready to plan the next round!

Previous

Return to California