Cloud Peak ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
midwestcoast

Cloud Peak ?

by midwestcoast » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am

Anybody know about the conditions on Cloud Peak, WY ? I drove down 90 2-3 weeks ago and they looked as snowed in as everything else. I'd assume the conditions are more early-June or late-May than early-July. So I guess what I'm really asking is if Cloud Peak is do-able in Early June conditions solo with nothing but an ice-axe and Kahtoola fake-crampons ?

midwestcoast

Re: Cloud Peak ?

by midwestcoast » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:37 am

I'll take the no reply as a solid "go for it !" Stopping by on the way to the Winds this week.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Was in the Wilderness last Tuesday. Big snowpack is melting fast. Went in east of Bighorn Peak to 9,400 feet and encountered only 1 small patch of snow by Rainy Lake. Plenty up higher still but it is going fast. Posted some photos on the Bighorn Range and BH Pk pages.

midwestcoast

by midwestcoast » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, how bad are the bugs ?

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 am

We were camped at 8,100 feet and the mosquitoes and flies were out but not crazily so. They (mosquitoes) were much more evident at 9,400. I'm sure there will be plenty to keep you company. Would definitely take a headnet and plenty of bug juice.

I'll be packing the same when I head into the Winds next Friday.

Good travels!!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)