Yes? No? When?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Buz Groshong

Re: Yes? No? When?

by Buz Groshong » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:29 pm

gabr1 wrote:i don't have sufficient knowledge to propose a voting system or to state the one i think is the best.
I think it is inevitable that no system will work perfectly, because everyone uses voting in a different way; some of us will vote the overall quality, some will vote for the beta, some will vote for the writing style. Some might simply want to encourage or thank, as Fletch said.
I gladly leave the choice of the system to who knows more than me, but i would like the chosen system to be clear, and this is the BIG defect of the current one.
Anyone who doesn't browse the forum extensively (and there are many), might never know the fact that 9 out of the ten possibilities given are actually negative votes. This makes no sense. People i know have often asked me why the heck all votes are always ten, and before discovering the reason, i was inclined to think it was just out of lazyness of voters. I actually gave out many of my early votes according to my personal opinions, so i probably downvoted many pages without actually meaning to (i would imagine 8 to be quite a good vote...).

Anyway, if things are to hard or complicated to change, just leave them as they are, but make it clear to everyone how things work...

Whatever the voting system is, i would not like it to be anonimous, if i think a page is crap i should be able to answer questions or comments by it's author not hide behind the monitor, and i am sure this would boost the quality of content and the awareness of what is posted, and it might be effective in containing "serial-voters" ...

:)

If you have a problem with a page, the best way to do something about it is to comment on it or PM the page owner. In the message you should say what you think is wrong with it and, perhaps, offer info that would correct the problem. Even if you don't offer info that would correct the problem, it might spur others to help out. Of course, there's always the possibility that the page owner will ignore the comments, but then they are more likely to ignore a low vote without comments.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Alpinist wrote:I understand what you are trying to do but that specific formula yields some unexpected results. I plugged your formula into a spreadsheet and this is what I got.

Scenario 1: 4 people / each person has a power rank of 100 / each person voted "4": Score = 75.71
Expected result: I would expect the Score to be much lower in this scenario (closer to 40).

Scenario 2: Change the Power Ranking of the people above and the Score changes.
Expected result: If everyone voted the same way, I would not expect the Score to change just because someone's Power Rank is different.

Good examples, Alpinist, because they illustrate two features of this model that we'd have to decide if we want.

Your Scenario 1 shows that gravity pulls up as well as down. In other words, it takes power to depart from "par" in either direction. In my simple version with 85 as par, every item starts with a score of 85. If a few people vote, it will move, but not all that far. You used votes of "4" which pull the score toward, but not to, an ultimate score of 40. Your hypothetical people didn't have enough power, by themselves, to pull the score more than about a quarter of the way toward 40.

Let's use an extreme example where just one person votes. Even if that one person is Dow and he votes "1", a single vote could not sink the score much below 50. If Dow and Gangolf get together and both vote 1, it drops into the 30s. But it would take a lot of 1 votes with a lot of power to get an item all the way down close to a score of 10, just as it would take a lot of 10 votes with a lot of power to get an item all the way up close to 100.

Scenario 2: Absolutely. People with more power have more ability to pull a score away from par. People with minuscule power have minuscule ability to pull a score away from par. If you joined yesterday and you have power of "1", and you vote "4" on a photo, you'll drop the score from 85.00 to about 84.95.

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Now that I understand the system better, is there a way I can look up where I have voted on pages so I can go back and change my vote?
Mountains and Music

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 pm

GlacierCountry wrote:Now that I understand the system better, is there a way I can look up where I have voted on pages so I can go back and change my vote?

No. You'd have to just fish around for them.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

GlacierCountry wrote:Is there a way I can look up where I have voted on pages so I can go back and change my vote?

Now I gotta admit that would be a cool feature. :)

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 pm

I just looked at FAQ to determine if there was any description of the scoring formula and did find a bit of info. I also found this note: "Finally, in order to determine the most accurate page scores, abnormally high and low votes are discarded." :lol:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:
GlacierCountry wrote:Is there a way I can look up where I have voted on pages so I can go back and change my vote?

Now I gotta admit that would be a cool feature. :)

I am not sure I agree.

Perhaps good in GlacierCountry's case, but more often than not it would probably be used to remove votes or other less than admirable activities when someone gets upset at another SP member.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:13 am

mrchad9 wrote:but more often than not it would probably be used to remove votes or other less than admirable activities when someone gets upset at another SP member.

I was referring to the case where if I were to change my vote. :wink: But yeah I suppose it's possible that even that feature would be abused. :x

Previous

Return to Site Feedback