Weather and tips in NW Argentina

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
francois19

Weather and tips in NW Argentina

by francois19 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a trip in northwest argentina in the next few weeks and high on our list is the idea to attempt to climb nevado de cachi. However, I am quite unsure about the weather conditions at this time of the year. Is the ascencion doable with correcct equipment ? And how much snow are we bound to run into ?

Furthermore, we are planning to do this solo, but I am curious as to how expensive it might be to hire a guide for those few days.

Thank you very much !

François

Damien Gildea

Re: Weather and tips in NW Argentina

by Damien Gildea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 am

It seems a strange area in terms of season - more like Bolivia than the Atacama or High Andes of Argentina. Though I have heard that April is a good time to go there!

Friends in Chile tell me that there has been a lot of snow in the Andes this winter (June, July) but I don't know about the Cachi area. I was in southern Peru in June, climbing Ausangate. The weather was very good in early June but became more unsettled at the beginning of July.

Return to South America