Santa Cruz Mountains Suggestions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
SurfinPeakScience

Santa Cruz Mountains Suggestions?

by SurfinPeakScience » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:46 am

Hey ya'll! I'm visiting a friend in San Jose this weekend and im looking for suggestions for a day hike in the Santa Cruz Mountains on Saturday. The bigger the trees and the less crowded the better. SP offers no exciting summit options. I know Big Basin Redwood State Park is popular. Any Help?

fedak

Re: Santa Cruz Mountains Suggestions?

by fedak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:13 am

Berry Creek Falls from either Waddel Beach or Big Basin HQ.
Best hike in the South Bay.

If you've never seen a redwood grove do the park HQ route so you can visit the grove there.
And then do a loop out the Sunset Trail and Back on the Skyline to Sea trail- hitting the waterfall canyon from above.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I grew up camping at Portola Redwoods State Park. Much smaller than BB, but less people, great creeks and trees, lots of neener slugs. <sigh> Those mountains used to look so big to me... :)

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Portola Redwoods State Park - Peters Creek Grove. It's about 14 miles, and I've done it three times, twice not seeing another soul. Peters Creek Grove is old growth, very deep in a hidden canyon too difficult to extract the wood from.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:56 pm

+1 for Berry Creek falls as the best hike in the South Bay, though it isn't necessarily the best Redwood viewing. For seeing some really huge specimens in the South Bay, check out Henry Cowell State Park near Felton. The hiking there is much more tame than Big Basin but the trees are beautiful.

If you're going to check out Portola Redwoods State Park, now is a good time to do it. It's on the list of parks to be closed this year.

Return to California